Metro Councilwoman Calls Out Frazier Museum

February 7th, 2013 by jake · 7 Comments

Attica Scott called the Frazier Museum out over some language it used promoting a new exhibit:

Here’s a screengrab of the language used:

Yeah… about that… Maybe someone at the Frazier Museum needs a reality check on that language?

Tags: Oops · Race

• 1 Insensitive // Feb 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm

got this in my head now.

• 2 The Tim // Feb 7, 2013 at 1:13 pm

It’s a poor phrasing of words. Could’ve written better.

• 3 The Tim // Feb 7, 2013 at 1:14 pm

And I could’ve written better too! Could’ve been written better.

Ah, now I feel better. : )

• 4 Charles W. // Feb 7, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Not sure I would have noticed it myself, but now that it has been pointed out, it glares. Attica Scott has a very good point.

• 5 jack // Feb 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Very compelling story. What would be a better tagline?

• 6 Nova China // Feb 8, 2013 at 5:18 am

I really thought about this. The only thing I could come up with is that either nobody really survives slavery or that strength had nothing to do with surviving.

Maybe “Only the Strong Survived” is metaphysically referring to the millions of individuals worldwide who were not mentally or spiritually defeated by slavery; and their children’s children who, through the strength and determination passed down from their parents, haven’t been defeated by it either; or future generations who will be just as strong as their ancestors long after Dr. King’s Dream is realized.

• 7 Krista Snider // Feb 8, 2013 at 9:20 am

Nova, I’m the PR and marketing director at the Frazier Museum. You absolutely captured our intentions. For example, another tag line in our promotional materials is “The human spirit can never be enslaved.” Thank you for that great explanation. All that said, the point of the “Spirits of the Passage” exhibition is to bring us together– not cause a divide. So, we’re removing this line from the limited places it was being used in our promotional materials. “Spirits” is intended to encourage people to talk about this uncomfortable topic so that we can learn from it. The point is, look at what these people went through– that says something about the strength and tenacity in all of us, regardless of the color of your skin. It’s also about the horrible things that can happen if people are by-standers instead of up-standers. Please see the exhibition for yourselves and I know you’ll understand our intentions.