A Couple Radio Blowhards Will Hate This One

December 19th, 2012 by jake · 6 Comments

Here’s Rep. John Yarmuth’s statement on the Presidential Task Force to Address Gun Violence:

“I share the President’s commitment to strengthening our nation’s gun laws, and I thank him for approaching the complex problem of gun violence in a comprehensive way,” Congressman Yarmuth said. “Whether it is reinstating the ban on assault weapons and getting high-capacity ammunition magazines off our streets, expanding background checks to help ensure guns don’t fall into the wrong hands, addressing gaps in our mental health care system, or other failures, we must address all the factors that contribute to gun violence in our society. This task force will help in those efforts.”

As gun owners (unlike the teabagger lady who wouldn’t know a Ruger if it fell into her lap), we’re glad to see Washington finally waking up to pushing responsible gun ownership.

Love Yarmuth or hate him, he’s the only one of our Kentucky delegation with guts enough to speak out with ideas so far.

Tags: Guns · John Yarmuth

• 1 E // Dec 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I don’t disagree with the sentiment and intent…but WHY do they always need a task force or a ‘blue ribbon commission’ ? Do our reps not have enough practical/real world knowledge to just do it ?

• 2 jake // Dec 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm

• 3 Bill W // Dec 20, 2012 at 3:58 am

I’ll take apart Rep. Yarmuth’s points then you can label me whatever you want.
    “Whether it is reinstating the ban on assault weapons and getting high-capacity ammunition magazines off our streets,***We did that and after 10 years it was obvious that it was a useless law*** expanding background checks to help ensure guns don’t fall into the wrong hands***every weapon I have ever bought has required a background check INCLUDING weapons bought at “gun shows”***, addressing gaps in our mental health care system,***finally he has found the heart of the matter, our mental health care system does need to be examined*** or other failures***like not repealing the second amandment***Yes I am a Life Member of the NRA.

• 4 Gil // Dec 20, 2012 at 7:11 am

I will openly admit to have purchased weapons at a gun show, and the the back ground check was laughable.

Individuals who sell cars in Kentucky have to be licensed. In my opinion, so should anyone selling more that one or two firearms a year, with a caveat given to estate sales and transfers.

I also hunt, and I have never hunted with a 556/223 round. They just aren’t practical. The only “animal” it effectively kills is the human animal.

While I entirely support the 2nd amendment, I have also long recognized the “well regulated militia argument” and the fact that the technology in 1774/1775/1776 was fairly limited to one shot rifles and muskets.

So using the argument of the full 2nd amendment, every gun hawk whould register wih their state to be part of the state militia (now known as the National Guard), and be prepared for their deployment to the shiste wholes some of us have spent a lot of time in.

These are

• 5 Gil // Dec 20, 2012 at 7:12 am

These are are just some of my opinions, which bear no more, and no less weight than others

• 6 Gary Guss // Dec 20, 2012 at 8:32 am

What Gil said twice ! and Thanks John Yarmuth for having a set of balls and some common sense unlike our Senate representation.