Brent Yonts Lies About Blame For The KRS Mess

September 28th, 2012 by admin · 15 Comments

When a legislator lies and obfuscates in an attempt to deflect responsibility, we automatically assume they’re more corrupt than Steve Henry or Julian Carroll.

So get a load of what Brent Yonts had to say recently:

Lawmakers and many of you want to know who, exactly, is to blame for the pension mess. Well, according to consultant Dr. Josh McGee with the Arnold Foundation, blame cannot be assigned. When the economy does not perform as well as assumed, costs rise. And costs rise when revenues are falling, he said, which make it difficult for legislators to choose between fully funding pensions–as we should–and other essential budget priorities.

Unfortunately for Yonts, who is on a plausible deniability tour with the “task force,” he’s sorely mistaken. People in attendance of those meetings say McGee didn’t make those specific claims. And even if he did, he’s completely wrong/lying through his teeth.

You’ll likely want to CLICK HERE to read the rest…

Tags: Bad Behavior · Scandal · State Government

• 1 J. Bruce Miller. // Sep 29, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Instead of 100% of the fault being the state legislature’s, I would place it at less than 50%. Had ANY of the Governors (Patton, Fletcher or Beshear) vetoed the Legislature’s failure to properly fund the retirement system and railed against the inappropriate action, the veto would have required a 2/3d’s vote to override and given the Governor much more ‘clout’ in protecting the taxpayers.
    Doesn’t happen in Kentucky, though, because Governors have wanted to get re-elected since they can enjoy two-terms, now — and none have had the courage to battle for the taxpayers and the fiscal integrity of the state.
    It’s done elsewhere, but not here.

• 2 J. Bruce Miller. // Sep 29, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Let me add one more point — Beshear NOW HAS the opportunity to become one of Kentucky’s best governors in a long time – by taking the leadership on the retirement system issue in a special session and DEMANDING that the legislature correct this outrage upon the taxpayers.

• 3 Cavemouse // Sep 29, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Mr. Miller – most of the employees in KRS are NOT getting that “gold-plated” retirement you all think we are getting. Most of us are going to have to keep working to to pay the bills, the insurance is going to almost double next year. The few that are getting the gold are mostly your political friends. I have worked for over 30 years, went years without raises, saw my benefits go south, paid in what I told to and raised my family. Now my time to retire is approaching and all I hear is how I am greedy and should not get what I worked for. When the part-time legislators that have the truly gold-plated retirement give up some of theirs, quit “borrowing” from the fund and quit hiring their friends to manage the money, THEN we will talk.

• 4 jake // Sep 30, 2012 at 9:34 am

I wouldn’t call $10K-$20K a sweet retirement in the least. Page One covered that a week ago. The gold-plated pensions are state legislators and those people like Steve Beshear put into high-paying jobs in order to play politics.

And, Bruce, give me proof of ANY instance in which Steve Beshear has done something remarkable like that. (I know you can’t, just giving you a hard time)

The fact that none of the previous governors did anything isn’t a testament to whether or not they had responsibility. Fact of the matter? The legislature could have overridden anything they did and often threatened to do that when changes were proposed behind closed doors.

We all know the pension problem in Kentucky isn’t going to be solved by this bunch. Not Steve Beshear. Not David Williams. Not Greg Stumbo. Not even the beloved liberals – who are just as much to blame – or the favorite conservatives. It’s not happening.

That’s not pessimism. It’s pretty much an established reality.

(Yes, I’m baaaaaack.)

• 5 Gil // Sep 30, 2012 at 9:53 am

Mr. Miller, since you unintentionally referenced the French Revolution by your choice of the word “largesse” when you stated “There is NO legitimate reason why a state employee should have a more lucrative retirement system than private industry WHICH PAYS THE TAXES THAT ENABLE THE STATE EMPLOYEES TO ENJOY THAT LARGESSE.”

In the form and style you chose to use the word you obviously don’t mean the definition to have “given of generosity”, you mean appear to have chosen the definition of the “liberal giving (as of money) to or as if to an inferior”

As an employee of local government, I chose to be part of the solution, while our elected and ever changing leadership, both elected and appointed (much like you) have proven to be part of the problem. After all how many thousand, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars of my money (I am a tax payer as well) have you squandered on yourself and others chasing an unneeded “NBA” dream; much to your own personal financial profit.

Unfortunately, you see yourself as a member of the bourgeoisie, and assume it is your right to decide individually the decisions for the proletariat and who you assume to be of the plebian caste/class. It is this general attitude, or Largesse on individuals similar to you, that lead to what came known as the “Reign of Terror”.

The reality is that YOU, and many like you, who will freely and openly seek government funding for your pet projects, will then attempt to blame the men and women who keep the state and local governments from collapsing under the inept elected political and appointed leadership.

It is also the reality that YOU and other like you wish to blame the employee, rather than the employer for having expected what was promised a stable retirement in lieu of raises, that was lawfully supposed to be funded by the legislatures.

To that end I bit you a not so fond fair well and remind you that individuals like me, pay taxes, pay into our own retirements, and still manage to you those services you expect.

• 6 Cavemouse // Sep 30, 2012 at 11:17 am

BTW – Mr. Miller, are you taking YOUR KRS retirement? How much is YOURS worth? Going to give it all back?

• 7 Gil // Sep 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm

On a side note when it comes to ethics, I have always wondered how you never had to face any bar concerns over your dealing with Mr Anson and his numerous failed dealings during your legal representations. Either he had an incompetant legal advisor (and I know you are not incompetant), or you were deeply involved in his illegal activities.

• 8 Nova China // Sep 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I know there’s a whole lot of Metro employees who enjoy a certain special status collecting 2 or more pensions and some are still employed with the city. They just changed the rules a few years ago to supposedly stop this practice, but people already doing it were grandfathered in.

• 9 Debbie Linnig Michals // Sep 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm

If I could pitch a story to the media, it would be to compile a list of goverment employees who are double dipping into the well. It would be very easy to do and would help everyone understand how serious the problem is. My sincere thanks to Chris Tobe and others who have stayed true to the course by bringing attention to this problem.

• 10 J. Bruce Miller. // Sep 30, 2012 at 8:13 pm

MY OH MY: Where do I begin. Let’s take ‘em by the ones.
    1. I was never speaking about the state ‘workers’ who have toiled and deserve their retirement. I do have a problem with 20 and outs and being provided another job in state or local government while receiving retirement for the first job.
    2. As for my retirement. When I retired as county attorney in 1986, I cashed my retirement in to assist my children’s college education. I have no state retirement.
    3. As for Jake’s points, I agree with them. I only stated that IF Beshear DECIDED to ‘take the bull by the horns’ and actually do something about it – then it would be a capstone for his career. I doubt that will happen.
    4. As for Gil (whomever he/she is [come on Gil don't hide behind a tree stand up and be counted]) I will not speak about a former client. I will say that I, like many lawyers, have had clients who have not followed their lawyers’ advice. Just like a lot of doctors have told people to quit smoking and they leave the doc’s office and light-up. As for Gil’s assertion that I’m lining my pockets — If you knew what you were talking about you would know that I have spent nearly $2m of my own retirement money trying to help the city with this effort and at the age of (soon to be) 72, I’m still working a full week, 52 weeks a year – and I have no Florida home but a wonderful family that I love and support.
    5. Lastly, I would suggest that before Gil’s head explodes, he should drop by Krogers and get an enema, it might help alleviate some of the pressure!!!!!!!!

• 11 J. Bruce Miller. // Sep 30, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I have an additional point (or points) to cover.
    1. Nothing can be done about the existing recipients of retirement. They are contracts made by the government to its employees. What has to happen is the straighten out of the plans for the existing employees. This is true regarding the legislators, the executive branch and the judicial branch. They are all out of control — and it requires Gubernatorial leadership to be done.
    2. Mr. Gil needs to exist in reality. We have a $350m arena that requires $10+m a year from the City and when the principal payments begin that total will be $25m a year. The ONLY answer is MORE DATES (MANY MORE DATES) OF USAGE. An NBA team would add an additional 41 dates at a minimum and would bring substantially more advertising revenue from ‘nationally-based’ advertisers (who advertise in major league sports venues). Mr. Gil if you have a better idea where to guarantee 41 dates — lets hear it. Otherwise, your implied rage is worthless — because it doesn’t solve an annual $25million + problem.

• 12 Cavemouse // Oct 1, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Mr. Miller – OK, you will not get a retirement, but you did get your money. There is no longer a cash option once you are vested, so the rest of us may not see our money. You can back-pedal all you want, you still said: “There is NO legitimate reason why a state employee should have a more lucrative retirement system than private industry WHICH PAYS THE TAXES THAT ENABLE THE STATE EMPLOYEES TO ENJOY THAT LARGESSE. This concept is nonsense.” What is the difference between a state “employee” and a state “worker”? Mayhaps Gil has a a point regarding your “largesse”. I am a taxpayer, too and resent your attitude. Keep beating that dead horse, sir, it is fun to watch!

• 13 J. Bruce Miller. // Oct 2, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Cave: If the NBA’s a ‘dead horse’ in your mind, then what’s your suggestion as to what should be done about a $350mm bond issue that is owed by the Arena Authority and guaranteed up to $10m a year by the City taxpayers, which is hemorraging money and the arena hasn’t even started paying its principal payments, YET. Couple of years that’ll amount to a figure approaching $25mm a year UNLESS DOZENS AND DOZENS OF NIGHTS THAT FILL THAT ARENA ARE CREATED.
    Let’s hear your intellect on this, Cave.

• 14 Cavemouse // Oct 3, 2012 at 9:44 am

I thought it was stupid to build the arena in the first place. If U of L needed a bigger place to play, they should have built their own on their property with THEIR money.

• 15 J. Bruce Miller. // Oct 3, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Cave: That’s not an answer to the question which was “…what’s your suggestion as to what should be done about . . . . ”
    Anybody can criticize anything, but when you criticize me about the NBA in Louisville – your criticism is worthless without a suggested solution.
    THE ARENA EXISTS AND WILL BE A HUGE FINANCIAL DRAIN ON THE TAXPAYERS.