Seems Like Louisville Hates Its New Cable Provider

July 16th, 2012 by jake · 6 Comments

If you missed it last week, Kentucky Retirement Systems is now running in circles over currency criticism. [Page One]

Police say they’ve arrested a woman responsible for more than a dozen burglaries in the Highlands. Police say this suspect did bizarre things during the crimes, even showering in one of the homes. [WHAS11]

This is what happens when Metro Government gives complete control over the cable market to a single company. Insight parent Time Warner Cable gave notice Friday that 14 additional channels could be dropped soon if negotiations devolve into fights such as the ones that cut WLKY off the cable system this week and WDRB for about a week last month. [C-J/AKN]

Here’s a fancy list of ten hotels with museum-worthy art galleries. Louisville’s famed 21c didn’t make the cut. [HuffPo]

It’s definitely sad that this family in the South End lost their home to fire. But we’re surely not the only folks to notice that glaring bit about 24 people living in the home. [FOX41]

Should the fate of historic buildings be decided by the city in general, or just those people who live nearby? [WFPL]

This weekend marked the 20th anniversary of Kentucky’s second generation of open records law. [Business First]

A federal judge turned down the River Fields request to speed up a lawsuit against the East End bridge. [C-J/AKN]

Murder-suicide in PRP this weekend? What a hot, sad mess that is going to turn out to be. [WAVE3 & WHAS11]

The city of Covington has won a legal victory in federal court to force an advertising company to remove its benches from city sidewalks because the city deems them unsightly. Sounds just like a fight Louisville has faced for a while. [H-L]

WLKY is still off the air on your fancy Insight/TimeWarner cable service. Seems station management has decided to fight back. [WLKY]

Tags: Art · Cable · Crime · Highlands · Insight Comm. · Ohio River Bridges · South End · State Government · Transparency · WDRB · WLKY · Zoning

• 1 G'town Reader // Jul 16, 2012 at 9:17 am

Sentiment may have turned like a worm last night, spreading some of the Time-Warner “hate” into WLKY/Hearst hate – when WLKY was totally off the air for 3 hrs. or so last night REGARDLESS your provider. No 60 Minutes for folks NOT receiving WROC-8 as a CBS-substitute!

• 2 G'town Reader // Jul 16, 2012 at 9:28 am

Some of the people said to be residing in the South End home that burned were described as visitors from Michigan. Aside from that, it has long been a common practice for multiple immigrant family members to share a residence, having been described to me as still imminently better living arrangements than many were accustomed to in their country of origin.
    There are particular regulations for occupancy requirements in Louisville RENTAL properties – number of private bedrooms, number of bathrooms, relationship of occupants – but I don’t know if there are any rules for owner-occupied dwellings. Don’t know the ownership status of home that burned, but I imagine someone will investigate…

• 3 Roger // Jul 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I hated TRK err… Storer, uhm… Insight, and I fully expect to hate Time Warner. Unfortunately, that’s the way it works around here: crappy service at high prices.
    I only get internet and phone from them though. I couldn’t handle their static-y ghost laden images, and uneven sound levels.

• 4 The Tim // Jul 16, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I always thought a second cable comp. would be good for the area, giving Insight a good run for their money. Rates have steadily increased, the channel selection decreased (or you have to pay more for the next tier of channels, ones you used to previously get). I also remember a time, say 5 – 10 years ago, a second cable provider was supposed to come into the area but never materialized.

• 5 wtf // Jul 16, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Wasn’t there two cable companies given permission from the council to operate here in the metro a few years ago.

• 6 Shawn // Jul 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Been off cable for years, just realized, I don’t need it! And I’m so behind that both of my TVs still have digital converter boxes. But, you know, I survive just fine without that cable bill. (And no, no Insight Internet either, or telephone.) As Dave Ramsey says – I’M INSIGHT FREE!!!!!