Nope, You Can’t See That Story, Average Reader

June 4th, 2012 by jake · 21 Comments

What do people throughout the region see when they attempt to access A Kentucky Newspaper for important news that could save lives see after they access ten articles per month?

This:

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Yep, in the age of the internet, the paper has erected a pay wall, raised print rates and cut news production.

Fortunately, every bit of that news is available elsewhere for free.

Tags: Courier-Journal · Newspaper

• 1 lateshiftatthezoo // Jun 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Death of a Newspaper.

Starring Wes Jackson as Biff Loman

• 2 Roger // Jun 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I deleted the CJ gadget from my homepage. Goodbye “humongous gray eminence”.

• 3 Roger // Jun 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Or was that WHAS?

• 4 Coupon Shopper // Jun 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm

A 50% increase in the retail price of the Sunday issue is pretty hefty, considering it takes 10 – 12 minutes to go through the whole thing.

• 5 Polar // Jun 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm

The CJ has been on the downslide since the Binghams sold it. For the past couple years, it has descended to the point of being birdcage liner. I refuse to read it, as it is refuse.

• 6 john // Jun 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Hey Jake, two major things wrong with your post: first, even your readers can figure out that it’s just plain incorrect that, as you say, “every bit of that news is available elsewhere for free,” and it’s 20 articles every 30 days before you’re asked to pay. But hey, why let the facts get in the way….

• 7 G'town Reader // Jun 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Hey! -but doesn’t everyone depend on the C-J for their comprehensive (syndicated?) information on health, diet, personal economics & aging? I think that was the gist of their new “model.” The heck with the local, national, & world “news,” business & politics.

• 8 jake // Jun 4, 2012 at 4:33 pm

10, 15, 20, does it matter, Mura (so much for pretending you folks don’t read this site non-stop)? It’s semantics. We could have said “two articles per month” and the point would be the same.

What bit of news in A Kentucky Newspaper CAN’T be obtained at one of these outlets?

• WLKY
    • WDRB
    • WAVE3
    • WHAS11
    • Business First
    • The ‘Ville Voice
    • 84WHAS
    • News & Tribune
    • Herald-Leader

If it’s just plain incorrect, entertain us with the facts about all of the very important news that cannot be obtained elsewhere.

Here’s reality: If it’s not first broken by another outlet or a blog – which happens every day – then it’ll be covered by another outlet or a blog within a few minutes.

You folks can continue to take things personally and go out of your way to demean, attack, belittle and get bitter at the mere criticism of your employer. Despite, of course, it not being anything personal. That won’t change what’s happening. While I’m sorry your employer will eventually lay you off – as it has done to everybody else? You folks need to learn how to deal with whatever anger/bitterness/anxiety/upset you’ve got brewing.

• 9 john // Jun 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm

And, I forgot one important addition, Jake. Whenever there is a story that is so important to the public welfare that it needs to be read by all, we have the option to make that story free – and we will.

• 10 Skipper // Jun 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Accept I’m not going to hang around very long figuring out when and where a free article is going to spring up. I know my habits and I suspect they are much the same as quite a few others, once I run into a cap, I won’t click on the CJ again. I’ll eventually stop checking the CJ altogether. I already haven’t picked up a print copy in literally two years. I don’t even check the print copy when I’m going to be personally quoted in a story. Someone else typically mentions they saw the quote and then I go look at the web page for the story solely out of curiosity. If that didn’t happen from time to time, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t check at all. The paper is largely AP content all of which I get somewhere else for free. Any journalistic function the CJ alleges it provides is essentially gone. And local coverage is available many other places as well. And I don’t trust the content in the CJ when I do read it. And it absolutely is true that the CJ either wholly ignores or otherwise buries important stories. Paid content for CJ access is the kiss of death. We’ll see though, there’s still quite a few folks out there who’ve been reading the CJ so long they just might pay higher subscription fees for print and online access. I do know that I won’t. Fortunately the CJ is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

• 11 Jimfkft // Jun 4, 2012 at 5:33 pm

The decline of the C-J has been sad to witness to anyone who remembers the great newspaper that it used to be. As someone who went to J-school in Kentucky in the 1970s, I viewed the C-J as an amazing Kentucky resource, with its extensive network of news bureaus, Pulitzer-prize winning reporters, outstanding cartoonist, and even a compelling Sunday magazine. All gone. Kentucky is much poorer for its slide into corporate mediocrity.

• 12 jtt // Jun 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Fortunately, for the time being, my 75 year old mom will continue to get the paper, she enjoys it, so I will just take advantage of the digital access she won’t use. I’ll be interested to see how, if at all, the content changes once it goes “behind the wall.”

• 13 doodie // Jun 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

ctrl-shift-delete. Clear your browser cookies and keep on sailing. :)

• 14 Cavemouse // Jun 4, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Dear John (appropriate salutation for this note) – I have found I can live with out the CJ, so have most of my friends. The mis-spellings, misinformation, poor journalism have this decision a lot easier than I thought. Now after we all drop you like a hot rock, how will you inflate your numbers to your advertisers – the free dreck you litter the town with does not count!!

• 15 Gary Guss // Jun 5, 2012 at 12:29 am

Too bad they bought that fancy new press a while back

• 16 Jason Puckett // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:03 am

I hate to say it, but with the departures of Eric Crawford and Rick Bozich, in addition to the paywall implementation, it looks like the casket has officially closed on The Once Great Newspaper (if it hadn’t already).

Regardless of your opinion of sports, the OGN just lost two of the very few household names it still had, and in a section that, in reality, is the major driver for pay-per-view news.

On one hand, you feel bad for the ones still in the trenches trying to do it right, but on the other hand you just shake your head at the arrogance of the hierarchy here and in McLean, Va., who still don’t seem to get it.

• 17 Jason // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:37 am

I’ve never understood why the CJ thinks they can charge for articles, when the same news can be read on other local news sites for free? It’s insane. Just check wlky.com, wdrb.com and whas11.com. All local news, all free. And usually more timely.

• 18 Older than dirt // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

RIP…

• 19 Mark // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

Bring back The Louisville Times

• 20 T // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:27 am

I have been purchasing the CJ on Sunday’s only for the Coupons . At this point, I will probably pick up a paper at the store if it is a heavy coupon day but probably won’t renew my subscription. I am not willing to pay higher costs for digital usage.

I used to frequent the CJ website for the comments made by the readers. When Facebook became a requirement for posting, most of the comments became boring. There was a lot of crap before but there were also people in the know who were willing to share what they knew as long as they didn’t have to share a name. I lost interest in the paper after comments were attached to a facebook page and the new move to charging for online use is the nail in the coffin for the paper.

Sorry John – your paper sucks.

• 21 Cantinflas // Jun 6, 2012 at 8:40 am

New Media Reigns Supreme. We’re all ‘citizen journalists’ now, what with Twitter, Instagram, 4G iPhones, digital cameras and video.