You know what’s crazy? Other than everything in Metro Government, we mean.
What’s crazy is the amount of first-hand accounts we receive from longtime volunteers, fosters, adopters, employees and donors for Louisville Metro Animal Services.
There’s been a lot of discussion about LMAS being flooded with owner-surrendered pets (Justin Scally and Greg Fischer’s beloved Sadiqa Reynolds have been pushing this talking point) and we’ve been rightfully curious.
But here’s what one individual witnessed last week at the Manslick Road location:
- Two Dismas employees doing nothing
- A family hoping to adopt a dog. Taken to the back, met the dog.
- A young woman hoping to adopt a dog. She was handed a flyer for Animal House. The employee told her, “I’ve only been there once so I can’t give you directions.”
- A man was looking for his son’s dog. It had escaped his yard the evening prior and LMAS was the last stop. He was escorted to the back by a Dismas employee and the dog was located. However, there was no record of the dog being brought in. It was wearing a collar but had no label. It wasn’t in the system. The dog was never officially located so there was officially no way to know if the animal could be released.
- A foster for LMAS waited on a fecal test for her foster cat. She had never been contacted by staff about having the cat spayed/neutered. Another person was present – with a younger foster cat – who had already had an appointment scheduled to have their cat altered.
- A man came in who wanted to foster a dog and no one assisted him
- Justin Scally was present and trying to be helpful, didn’t introduce himself to anyone.
- The facility was filthy beyond words
- No one who arrived hoping to adopt, foster or donate got thanked
There was no indication that LMAS was inundated with anything other than a lack of concern. No one said owner-surrenders were a big problem. No one discussed it.
And you wonder why we don’t buy the owner-surrender talking point.
Meanwhile, your local paper gives the mayor and his staff a free pass.