You Know What’s Absolutely Absurd About LMAS?

June 29th, 2011 by jake · 17 Comments

Well, other than everything, I mean?

This is absurd.

You can thank Greg Fischer for KEEPING the problems at Louisville Metro Animal Services instead of firing them.

Tags: Bad Behavior · Dogs · Greg Fischer · Metro Government

• 1 Eileen // Jun 29, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I am beyond sickened and appalled. I called the Mayor’s office, again. I’ve emailed Susan Neumayer, Mayor Fischer, Councilmen Blackwell, Downard, and Yates (the area where I own a home), and Sadiqa Reynolds, again. No response, again.

The guy who was willing to foster called 911 to report animal cruelty and they referred him to LMAS. I called the non-emergency police number and asked to whom I should report animal cruelty committed by the government agency charged with enforcing animal cruelty laws. The person who answered asked about the situation and tried to help but didn’t have an answer for me.

I emailed MetroCall this message:LMAS took in a dog with a broken leg and apparently left it untreated during his 5-day stray hold period. They did not treat or ask for help from rescue groups, and never officially asked for help. An employee asked No Kill Louisville for help the night before the dog was to be killed; a foster, financial sponsor and rescue were found and the dog was killed anyway. If a private citizen left a dog with an untreated broken leg for 5 days and then killed it, it would be a crime of animal cruelty. Who investigates crimes committed by LMAS?

• 2 The Highlander // Jun 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Hey Eileen: I’ve already answered your question once on this blog. Now, for a second time. Go to the Jefferson County District Court and swear out a warrant for those whom you believe were involved in this cruelty to an animal (about which I agree with you) AND if you desire, seek the help of the County Attorney who’s responsible for prosecuting in District Court.

That’s what you should do. It OBVIOUSLY has become a legal/illegal matter now — and has (long ago) passed the question of executive decision-making. That’s why we have judges with robes and pens.

• 3 Eileen // Jun 29, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Highlander, thank you. Sorry I missed it the first time.

• 4 Fischycouldnotmanageagoldfish // Jun 29, 2011 at 5:20 pm

MetroCall is a joke. The only way this stops is when the mainstream press growS a pair and stop giving Fischy a free pass. Fischy us living it up in Chicago right now. He does not have a clue this happened nor does he care. Blue’s story is just one of many that could be told. The CJ, the tv stations and the elite in this community continue to look the other way. The Voice Tribune has stories about boring stories and pics of Fischy being dressed by his wife for some old persons birthday. God forbid they did a story on MAS. Even if an east end house wife’s Muffy was mauled they would not care. I’m calling for the public radio and LEO to step up. I’m asking Mandy Connell to get her head out of her ass and interview Jess so the many across the state will know how bad MAS is because of people like Greg and Jerry. I’d say more CJ’s would be sold if they actually did some real journalism and investigated MAS (hint: Jake done most of the work) I ask those families whose pets were mauled sue MAS just so the crap that goes on their becomes more exposed. I say every foster of dogs from the MAS all collectively march over to Fischer’s castle and crap on his lawn and his sister lawn. Keep calling his office and demand answers, flood his email, show up at the “town halls” call into local radio shows, call the press non-stop. Blue’s story doesn’t end well bit his senseless pain and suffering could save other dogs (and cats)
    from the same fate. Lastly, I ask pet owners to think about making double sure your pets are secured away from the fireworks this weekend. Should they become fearful and run from the noise I promise you they will die if MAS gets ahold of them.

• 5 JS // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I realize that the whole point of this post is to bash LMAS, but just for the sake of asking – where is the outrage for all the animals currently sitting at Animal House who haven’t been adopted because someone didn’t start a Facebook campaign about them?

Are the animals currently up for adoption not cute enough? Are they not the right breed/mix to be worthy of a Facebook campaign? Were they properly cared for and because of that not worthy of mention here?

This is quickly becoming the FOX NEWS of local blogs – grab a story that will make people take notice, gather VERY biased opinions, and then spin the story into a headline.

• 6 Fischycouldnotmanageagoldfish // Jun 29, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I’m curious to know if Fischy is going for the clean sweep of golden poos this year. LMESS alone could land him and his staff many nominations. All kidding aside. This situation has become a tragic act of leadership failure. I can see the mess was bad under Jerry but Greg had so many chances to correct the situation and he has failed each and every time. Someone drag his pathetic ass to LMAS and have him tour with NKL Louisville. Have him meet with the families of pets who were mauled. Have him explain why Blue went w/o treatment and then was killed after $ and care was found by local advocates. Demand he be held accountable. I see 15,000 folks like NKL. That’s alot of votes and $$ for the next election to get behind someone else.

• 7 Fischycouldnotmanageagoldfish // Jun 29, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Humans are being hurt by Fischer as well. The fancy idea of consolidating business managers and personal has several folks still not knowing if they have a job come July 1. It’s 24 hrs. away and several folks in Metro still don’t know if they have a job. Not a peep from those in charge.

• 8 jake // Jun 30, 2011 at 7:17 am

Uh, there’s no outrage over animals at Animal House because they’re on several different adoption sites and get promoted daily? Just a thought.

Protip: Don’t like it? Don’t read it.

• 9 skeeter558 // Jun 30, 2011 at 8:04 am

JS the point of this is not to bash LMAS, it is to bring light to the bad things that happen to animals at LMAS. There are perfectly healthy dogs/cats at LMAS that never get on petfinder or petharbor or make it to Animal House. Those animals don’t have a chance, zip, nada. They are waiting there to die.

To let a dog suffer for 5 days with a broken leg and not give it treatment is inhumane. If I would have done that LMAS would be knocking on my door, taken my pets away and charged me with animal cruelty.

Have you ever walked the isles of Metro JS? Have you looked into the eyes of the dogs and cats. Heard them wailing in their cages. Seen a dog get attacked by its kennel mate or a dog with a broken leg screaming in its kennel because its in there with 5 other dogs stepping on its leg?

If not, you need to you too would be outraged by what you see.

I’ve seen, heard a lot even worst things then get published here. I’m tired that it continues it needs to change.

• 10 skeeter // Jun 30, 2011 at 8:05 am

If not, you need to you too would be outraged by what you see.

• 11 jake // Jun 30, 2011 at 8:18 am

Actually, the point is just to share what’s going on in my head so it doesn’t eat my few remaining brain cells.

Just a coincidence that people read about it and get fired up.

• 12 Eileen // Jun 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

Actually, the animals at Animal House don’t get promoted daily. They just have slightly more exposure than the ones at Manslick that LMAS leadership pretends don’t exist.

JS, I know it’s long, but my correspondence with Susan Neumayer is printed in one of these blog posts, and it includes a lot of questions about the lack of promotion of ALL the animals at LMAS, including those at Animal House. I have been pointing out everywhere I can think of that while adoption fees were waived for June, there has been NO promotion of that by LMAS since June 1, Petfinder listings are minimal and not updated, and basically, the agency does very little to promote adoptions of any of the animals.

If you think “someone” should start a Facebook page for the pets at Animal House, be someone. It’s a great idea. Go for it. Post the link and I will help promote it.

• 13 Turner // Jun 30, 2011 at 11:20 am

Dear Skeeter, JS walks the walk…
    Eileen, I swear to you, cats for Petfinder for LMAS are updated on an almost daily basis. I agree on lack of promotion in general. Volunteers are responsible for the early June news stories about high intake and the June promotion as well.

• 14 what? // Jun 30, 2011 at 11:52 am

Jake, so we finally get the answer as to what makes you tick…too funny…

• 15 adhra2001 // Jun 30, 2011 at 12:11 pm

OK..so lets see..who at MAS is responsible for news releases, promotions advisement to news sources, or just any stories that should be gotten out?? I believe it is Kakes close buddy, JG…. This is main reason that all you see or read about MAS is the bad stories or news…. Nothing good is ever given out from MAS and anyone who brings up a new promotion or story about the good being done, and yes there are many good things happening at MAS, is told to go through JG and there it stops…….

• 16 jake // Jun 30, 2011 at 12:54 pm

what?: Something like that.

I can also confirm that, for the most part, Animal House folks do updates on a daily (or REALLY frequent) basis. Every time I’ve been there, there’s always someone chattering about Pet Finder while seated at their computer.

• 17 Eileen // Jun 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Cats may be updated more frequently than dogs. I don’t know, and I apologize for only talking about dogs; it’s not that they’re more important, and cats certainly have it worse, but mastering the info on the cat situation would be a steep learning curve and I can speak about the dogs with more confidence that I’m getting it right. I still own my Louisville house, but I now live and work in California. I follow the LMAS situation, and advocate for change, because my volunteer experience there instilled a profound disgust for the status quo and concern for the animals there.

There were 39 dogs listed for several days, and the list didn’t change. Before that it wasn’t a whole lot different; I’ve been checking regularly because I’ve been on Neumayer and the Mayor’s office about not promoting animals. Now dogs from Manslick won’t be added for a while because of danger of distemper but that was not a factor even yesterday. I just looked and there are 38. Either adoptions are way down or Petfinder’s not getting updated, at least for the dogs. Or both. And 39 out of hundreds is pathetic promotion of adoptable animals anyway. AND only promoting them on Petfinder is pathetic!

The front page of Petfinder has been the same for a month, and has never featured the waiver of adoption fees. I believe volunteers were responsible for the fees getting waived and for LMAS putting out ONE press release June 1, because Amy Rock and others posted all over media Facebook pages suggesting that they waive adoption fees in the wake of an influx of animals over Memorial Day weekend. I think otherwise that influx would have simply been an excuse for a killing spree. Not that the killing has stopped.

And there’s been no attention that I can see to keeping newly adopted animals in their homes. I know from painful observation that when a dog, at least, is returned, it doesn’t matter if the reason is the adopter’s outrageous expectations for their new pet. Unless things have changed a lot for the better, the returned dog often goes straight to the ET list, or the ET room.

These are all pieces of the puzzle, and these particular pieces are just a small part of it. But all the pieces, put together, make a picture of an organization straight out of Kafka, Orwell, and Munch’s “The Scream.” No living being should be at the mercy of an organization like that.