Dear Louisville, Please Check It: An Act Of Dog

May 10th, 2011 by jake · 9 Comments

Really, check this out:

CLICK TO VISIT SITE

Have you seen this? The guy (Mark Barone – along with Marina Dervan) is spending two years painting 5,550 dogs – the number of dogs killed per day in U.S. shelters – and is producing a documentary to illustrate and unveil the dirty secrets of the shelter industry. Of specific interest? The promise of no-kill.

It’s all going down at Mellwood Arts Center and they need to raise cash.

Please check it out. Get involved. Put your money where your mouth is.

Tags: Art · Dogs

• 1 Eileen // May 10, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Get involved by fostering or adopting one of the 31 animals on this week’s “ET list” (or one of those added since its release) and by getting new people to try fostering. Some think this is a genuine attempt to work with rescue groups, and maybe it is, but there really needs to be cooperation with the intent to save them all, not a deadline with the threat of death for any who miss it.

While LMAS should collaborate with the goal of saving all the animals, the community MUST step up. Animal advocates need to get out of their comfort zone and convince more people to foster and adopt. There are homes out there, but awareness of the problems and each person’s role in solving them is way too low.

• 2 Marina // May 10, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Eileen,
    I agree. Time will tell if they are serious about adopting a life saving strategy or just busy looking good right now. We actually went down there a week before they released the lists, complained about not having access to it in order to save one from death row that day. We told 2 people there to find a way to get those dates to the public , if they really cared. Hopefully it had some impact. Jessica and Rebecca of No-kill- Louisville and Shamrock, are doing a great job of spreading those lists. Our project is intended for the general public, who are unaware of the situation and need to understand how we can collectively be the change. Thanks for your insightful share. Marina

• 3 Eileen // May 10, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Marina, I don’t mean to slam your project and I’m sorry if it came across that way. It’s important for people to see all those images and realize every single one of them represents one of many lives unnecessarily cut short. I’m incredibly frustrated because not one of the cats on the list has been saved, only a few of the dogs have, and while it shouldn’t fall on volunteers to do all the necessary outreach to recruit new fosters, that’s who has to do much of it.

• 4 jake // May 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Eileen: I sent two people to adopt cats and they were both turned away. One, a doctor. Another, a state rep.

It’s a hot mess.

• 5 Eileen // May 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm

What?! Why???

Y’know, every time I convince myself not to be too cynical about LMAS, something like this smacks me back to realityland. I know some of the staff and they are great, but others seem to just like messing with volunteers and just do not seem to mind using animals’ lives as pawns in some twisted game.

• 6 JoeyNKY // May 11, 2011 at 1:42 am

I am an animal lover and if I come back, I want to be my dog – who I love and spoil. Now, I hear a lot of people crying about no-kill shelters. I agree this would be great, but is it really more humane to keep an active dog caged for years rather than humainly euthanize it? Have you ever been with a dog during this process? It is fast, painless and puts them out of their misery. Who will pay for the shelters to house all these dogs and cats? Isn’t it our fault for not spaying/neutering our pets? It’s very easy to point your finger at LMAS and talk of how they “Kill” animals, but aren’t they really saving the animal from spending it’s life in a small cage with little interaction? We can all foster, if your complaining – go foster an older dog with little chance of a permanent home.

• 7 Eileen // May 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm

JoeyNKY, how about if you educate yourself about what No Kill means instead of making assumptions about it? No Kill does not mean life in a cage. All the elements of the No Kill Equation are described at the No Kill Advocacy Center website (click on my name, which is a link to the No Kill Equation). Yes, I have been with dogs and cats during killing and euthanasia. I differentiate between the two based on whether those animals were healthy and adoptable, and I’ve been there for both. It’s not that lethal injection is painful that’s the problem; it’s that it is a permanent non-solution to a temporary problem. Everywhere the No Kill Equation has been comprehensively implemented, it works, and it does not involve a lifetime in a small cage.

I have also spent lots of time at Metro Animal Services and I used to believe that bs you’re spouting, until I was there enough to see it for the bs it is. LMAS is killing animals; it’s not saving them from anything. Your argument lacks any basis in reality.

• 8 warhorse // May 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Mark’s work is beautiful, sad, and powerful. Please support their efforts, they truely stand behind the message of No Kill.

• 9 bestmid // May 11, 2011 at 5:32 pm

We recently had a hugely unprofessional experience with the Animal Care Society, which was highly recommended. The person in charge told us it was easier to adopt a baby than qualify to adopt a dog from them. Huh? For an adult mixed breed they wanted between $265 and $400!

This community needs professional leadership on this issue, not just well-meaning (or otherwise) amateurs making life and death decisions.