Why I Am Embarrassed For Greg Fischer

January 3rd, 2011 by jake · 33 Comments

His inaugural circus. Plain and simple. I want to like Greg – even after all the crap – but things like this just keep making my eyes bug out.

In these recessionary times, massive amounts of money should not be spent on some gigantic dog and pony show. This does not send a good message to average Louisvillians.

Just take a look at plans for the entire day. This is just for the breakfast:

INAUGURAL BREAKFAST CELEBRATION

7:00 A.M. DOORS OPEN TO CASCADE BALLROOM

7:15-7:35 A.M. ENTERTAINMENT BY INTERNATIONAL GROUPS

7:30 A.M. VIDEO LOOP OF NEIGHBORHOODS, CITIES BEGINS
SHOWING DURING BREAKFAST

7:40 A.M. DOWN BY THE WAYSIDE CHOIR PERFORMS

7:50 A.M. BLESSING BY FATHER FRANK SMITH
PASTOR OF CHRIST’S CHURCH FOR OUR COMMUNITY

7:55 A.M. MALE DRUM CORP LEADS NEIGHBORHOOD/NON-PROFIT/SMALL CITY REPS WITH THEIR OFFERINGS AND GIFTS TO THE COMMUNITY TREASURE CHEST IN FRONT OF STAGE

8:05 A.M. PROGRAM BEGINS
LYNN FISCHER – MC

GLI VIDEO PLAYS

MC INTRODUCES CO-CHAIR TOMMY ELLIOTT
WHO INTRODUCES HONORARY CHAIRS –
CONGRESSMAN MAZZOLI, DAVID ARMSTRONG,
SENATOR GEORGIA POWERS

THEY WILL EACH SPEAK 1-2 MINUTES

8:20 A.M. GREG MAKES REMARKS

8:30 A.M. MORE PERFORMANCES BY
INTERNATIONAL PERFORMERS

9:00 A.M. PROCESSIONAL TO THE CATHEDRAL OF THE ASSUMPTION LED BY GREG FISCHER

I just… yeah. A simple swearing-in would have sent a great message.

Oh well. Maybe another time, right?

See the schedules for the Interfaith Prayer and Swearing-In after the jump… cause there’s a parade involved (seriously)…

Inaugural Interfaith Celebration

The Parable of the Talents: Matthew 25:12-30 – Be seated
Reverend Father Larry Legakis
Assumption Greek Orthodox Church

Holy Quran Reading
Dr. Kiarash Jahed
Muslim Community Center of Louisville

Musical Interlude I Have A Dream (Marc Clemons)
Praise Team 10 a Capella group
from Christ’s Church For Our Community

Hindu Reading
Sri Rajendra Joshiji
Hindu Temple of Kentucky

Prayer of Thanksgiving – Please stand
Pastor Dave Stone
Southeast Christian Church

Blessing of the City and the New Administration
Rabbi Joe Rooks Rapport
The Temple ~ Congregation Adath Israel B’rith Sholom

Please be seated

Choir Interlude Total Praise (Richard Smallwood)
Kevin Jamez, Director
St. Stephen’s Baptist Church

Litany for Louisville ~ Intercessory Prayer – Stand
Please respond to each intercession by saying “Hear Us and Help Us.”

David Armstrong – Honorary Chairperson
Larry Clark State Representative
Kelly Downard – Councilman
Hon. Rebecca Jackson – County Judge
David Karem – State Senator
Romano Mazzoli – Honorary Chairperson
Tom Owen – Councilman
Darryl Owens – State Senator
Georgia Powers – Honorary Chairperson
John Yarmuth – U.S. Congressman

Please be seated after the Intercessions are completed.

Choir Interlude – With My Whole Heart (Lamar Campbell)
Corey Gaines, Director
Canaan Christian Church

Benediction
Dr. Walter Malone Jr., Canaan Christian church

Sending Forth
Very Reverend William L. Fichteman, Pastor of the Cathedral

Postlude – St. Anne Fugue – Bach

Please remain seated as the procession departs, led by Mayor-Elect Fischer’s immediate family. The Hospitality Ministers and Mayor’s Ambassadors will direct you to the next venue in the Inaugural Day.

The Swearing-In Ceremony and Inaugural Address begin at 11am at Metro Hall.

SWEARING-IN at Metro Hall

11:00 A.M. – PROCESSION BEGINS FROM ROTUNDA

11:17 A.M. – WELCOME BY MC………. MATTHEW BARZUN,
U.S. AMBASSADOR TO SWEDEN

11:20 A.M. – POSTING OF THE COLORS ……..
THE LOUISVILLE METRO GOVERNMENT UNIFIED HONOR GUIDE

NOON – GREG FISCHER’S INAUGURAL ADDRESS

12:10 P.M. – BENEDICTION BY REV DR KEVIN COSBY
ST STEPHEN CHURCH

12:12 P.M. – PARADE BEGINS

Tags: Greg Fischer · Metro Government · Politics

• 1 garyguss // Jan 3, 2011 at 9:41 am

This is more like a Coronation than an Inauguration… Wheres the Elephant Stampede and Balloon release ? What a crock

• 2 Mark Stanton // Jan 3, 2011 at 10:11 am

FWIW I don’t believe any tax dollars are being spent, at least not on direct expenses. One could argue the dollars being donated could be put to better use. It looks like there is an attempt to make it both a celebration and a solemn, serious event. I think by doing this it sets the performance bar high and creates great expectations, which is a good thing.

If you haven’t, everybody should see the Wayside Choir perform and Dwight Ashley sing the anthem. I guarantee those will be two of the most powerful musical moments you will see this year.

• 3 jake // Jan 3, 2011 at 10:13 am

Of course not. But there are indirect taxpayer expenses.

But literally thousands upon thousands of dollars are being spent – both public and private.

• 4 curtis morrison // Jan 3, 2011 at 11:45 am

I think it’s comical that much of the money being spent is coming from campaign contributors that expected their money to promote progressive change.
    Had a friend that tried to purchase $100 event tickets with business credit card and they told him they couldn’t take business cards- as it’s considered a campaign contribution. So it’s comforting to know there will be a list of everyone that attended said event since the $100 donation threshold was the ticket price.
    Am I right on this Jake?

• 5 BT // Jan 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm

This whole day of ceremony doesn’t really seem to fit in with what we should be trying to accomplish with this “One Louisville” deal. It seems to be more about Greg Fischer than it is the citizenry. For me, the more appropriate and transparent thing would be to have Fischer swear in, give a short speech and call it a night, not to talk endlessly about an imaginary, city-wide “interfaith” celebration that ends with a dance at $100 a pop with a cash bar .

I see it like this: If you inherit a company that doesn’t have much going for it financially and recently had to cut pay/benefits/services for employees, you don’t go out and buy a new Rolls and drive all over the fucking place. You buy a Buick, and stick it in the garage till things get better. Know what I mean?

“Hear Us, Help Us” indeed.

• 6 blowin' in the wind // Jan 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm

This is totally inappropriate for a new mayor–or an old one–in the current economic circumstances. I also disagree with the entire interfaith ceremony. A low key swearing in, with visits to Louisville’s neediest would have set the right tone.

• 7 garyguss // Jan 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm

What no ermine robe ? Just sayin’

• 8 The Highlander // Jan 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Replete with everything except an elephant blowing a trumpet out of its ass. If that were included, it might have been worth $100 to attend. Seriously — a coronation is justified AFTER somebody’s done something. Why not a short speech (read of course) then get on a plane with the top 20 business people in town and go see if you can find a business to move to Louisville and bring in the ‘jobs,jobs,jobs’ that was the campaign slogan? Because, that would be too difficult, I guess.

• 9 garyguss // Jan 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm

This emperor had no clothes even before being coronated

• 10 James R. // Jan 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Is there ever an inauguration that does not have a function that cost money? I fail to see the problem with that or with having an interfaith function either. Good grief if these things bother people I give up.

• 11 Charles // Jan 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Did they do anything like this kind of scale when Jerry was inaugurated as mayor of the new Metro Louisville? What’s the impetus behind such a grand spectacle for a relatively unknown politician.

• 12 Paul Jason Puckett // Jan 3, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I’m willing to give him a chance, but Mayor Fischer is as about as inspiring as a mortician.

• 13 garyguss // Jan 3, 2011 at 5:10 pm

He would have better off to do this in the Jim Gray style and then went off to work . Will there be a glass domed Mayormobile for public appearances?

• 14 JTT // Jan 3, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I wish him well, but this was certainly not the way to start a new administration when your employees are being furloughed. Horrible “public perception” issue. And someone should tell him that shutting down downtown roads on a workday really ticks off people big time. Just take the oath and get to work already!

• 15 Steve Magruder // Jan 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Maybe I’m taking the unusual position, but I am sanguine to let Mayor Fischer have his little honeymoon. Methinks it won’t last long.

• 16 LaughingHard // Jan 4, 2011 at 12:07 am

One could argue that indirect tax dollars are used to support this website too. Aren’t interstate fiber optic lines used to transport Internet signals? Isn’t that taxed?

The answer to these question and the relevance of Fisher’s party funded out-of-pocket with no DIRECT tax dollars can be summed up like this…..

“So what?”

Fascinating journalism, Jake. Very compelling.

• 17 jake // Jan 4, 2011 at 7:07 am

Riiiight. Keep making excuses while public sentiment with the rest of the opinion makers rests elsewhere.

• 18 The Highlander // Jan 4, 2011 at 7:13 am

LaughingHard: Obviously you don’t have any understanding or appreciation of the concept of ‘cost accounting.’ When 2,000 public officials (est) and bunches of fire trucks w/employees on them, and a host of others stand around and watch yesterday’s performance at 6th and Jefferson that’s a loss of several hundred thousand dollars of the use of public employees’ time. It’s NICE, but TOTALLY UNNECESSARY. That ‘cost accounting disaster’ had nothing to do with interstate fiber optic lines.

• 19 Glaucous // Jan 4, 2011 at 9:15 am

No tax dollars were spent on the inauguration. The money was raised by ticket sales to the Gala and individual donations. Literally thousands of people in the community volunteered their time, talents and spirit. I went to the ceremony and I thought it was an extraordinary celebration of community. I don’t understand your gripe. Sounds like you just don’t want to like him.

• 20 jake // Jan 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

Really? So Greg’s campaign reimbursed the City of Louisville for everything? If not, I expect him to make sure that happens.

To remotely suggest you don’t understand why not just me – but countless others (note the electeds who weren’t present, for example, and the non-profit big dogs) are concerned about the massive amount of money spent on yesterday’s events is absurd. It cost – literally – thousands of dollars to build sets, pay for police and security, produce the various events.

The issue isn’t just tax dollars and you’ll note I didn’t mention tax dollars in the post. FISCHER people brought up tax dollars. And there were tax dollars spent.

The issue is the amount of money spent on the event, pure and simple.

You folks can continue taking what I say out of context and can continue attacking and spinning. It won’t change that I question power. I will continue to do so for as long as I have an audience and for as long as that audience wants me to do so.

• 21 James P // Jan 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm

If you got no substance, then make a big show, and keep them oohing, and aahing at the bright lights.

Substitute “Louisville” for “Rome”:
    I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they’ll be distracted.

• 22 The Tim // Jan 4, 2011 at 8:50 pm

After watching coverage on the news, the coronation seems a little extravagent.

• 23 LaughingHard // Jan 4, 2011 at 11:27 pm

If the issue you raise, Jake, is simply about the amount that Greg Fisher and PRIVATE donors spent on a party, then I must ask again, so what? It was a private event. Who are you and the so-called “others” to set the standard for what’s considered extravagent?

And Jake, you did mention “INDIRECT TAXPAYER EXPENSES”…..you’ll have to show me that column on my W-4 form in April.

Highlander: I absolutely have a standard for cost accounting. The problem is, this was a private event paid for by private funds. Those police/fire personnel you mentioned are paid to protect the public – even in private events. If you disagree with that, then I guess you’ll have to cancel all of the Derby events this year.

• 24 jake // Jan 5, 2011 at 7:02 am

Yup. I did. In a comment. Which most people never see. So what? From the very people who claim never to waste and to truly understand what everyday people in this city have to go through to survive?

Because indirect taxpayer expenses were certainly involved.

I love how you continue – anonymously – trying to play stupid. Acting like the cost of police, security, use of city streets and public facilities, etc is no biggie. I’m betting if it were Hal Heiner you’d be crapping your guts out, complaining.

If you folks can’t deal with ME being critical? If the Fischer crew can’t deal with someone writing about their administration? Then how the hell can you deal with the job in front of you?

Obviously struck a cord.

Because I bet you’re not laughing.

• 25 JTT // Jan 5, 2011 at 9:43 am

Actually, Laughing, if your or I had a private event of that scale, that required streets to be shut down, I would be expected to either pay the city for the additional law enforcement (and fire/EMS) required or contract with them separately. I’ve DONE events of that nature, want to know the going rate for a single cop? 25 bucks an hour. One ambulance (and I was required to have it under the city’s event rules) was $150 per hour, not include any response costs. Barricades, electrical guys to take care of the traffic signals, all cost a private citizen money – not to mention the hassle of getting all the permits, etc.

• 26 Steve Magruder // Jan 5, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Huge “private event”? For Louisville’s top _public_ official? I feel a disconnect.

• 27 LaughingHard // Jan 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm

First off, I’m not affiliate with Mr. Fisher nor Mr. Heiner in any way directly or indirectly. I’m just a guy who has rebutted the logic of narcissistic website media player with a boner for hyperbole surrounding a public official spending his own money (or using other private monies) to throw a party. I simply disagree with the idea that you or anyone else would think that just because he is Mayor, he should be scrutinized for how private money is spent – at least to this degree. For God sakes man, what’s next, you going to write about him taking his wife to a dinner and movie?

Secondly, the facilities weren’t public. They were rented. And public streets? Really? Did you just imply that a Mayor going to a party he paid for SHOULDN’T USE PUBLIC STREETS?

Damn, I guess we are cancelling Derby this year because by God, some elected official somewhere would have to go to a private event (like the Barnstable party) and use a public street! We mustn’t let that happen……guess the city council people will have to strap on their jetpacks to get to Churchill Downs!

I’m at least glad to see you admitted that you’re being critical. Unfortunately, it’s misplaced criticism and leaves me wondering, is that the best you’ve got? I mean, I would have expected that you might wait until after a snowstorm so that you had a little bigger target to aim at.

Look, I’m all for allowing you to state your opinon. But as John Q. Public, I’ll draw the line at the definition of “extravagent” when it comes to anyone elected or otherwise spending their own money. Just sayin…..

• 28 jake // Jan 5, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Ha! You sound like Chris Poynter before he got snubbed and didn’t get the top comm job. Or worse than Terry Boyd foaming at the mouth about how I should fear Ed Glasscock because he’s the most powerful man in the city/how he’ll ruin my publications if I’m ever critical of him (Ed).

Newsflash: Public dollars were used. It’s not insignificant. And anyone trying to excuse the fact that literally hundreds of thousands of private dollars were also used on a single day for a single ego? Yeah. That’s a good move.

Using the streets? Hello? There was a PARADE.

Admitted I’m being critical? Seriously? I sign my name to everything I say. It’s you who is afraid to use your name.

• 29 chip // Jan 6, 2011 at 7:49 am

I have seen “ego” several times now and from way back posts, I promised you that The Fish is driven by ego first , information overload / category filing and every day job performance/improvement.

• 30 LaughingHard // Jan 8, 2011 at 11:37 am

Jake – you are quite the journalist. In the wake of someone challenging your logic, you end your last post by once again displaying hyperbole over the handle I use on your little public website. Really? Again, that’s all you’ve got? You redirect focus from my message to the fact that I sign my name differently than you? That’s a pretty good sign that I must have a struck a nerve here, huh?

This just in: My name IS Chris and I’m a reasonably educated hard working tax payer who just happens to see things for what they are. I have an opinion and a brain that I engage to rationalize what makes sense and what doesn’t. So what if there was a parade? If you’re going to bang a drum against that event, then why not bang a drum against Light up Louisville…..or heck, let’s just bulldoze the Louisville Zoo for that matter…..both are publically funded!

That’s why I mentioned the argument against your little website because INDIRECTLY it’s also funded by tax dollars through the use of interstate fiber optic lines which ARE taxed!!!

So you see, Jake, your logic is flawed and I think you hate it that someone can present an argument against your drivel that actually holds water. I’m over this already……

• 31 jake // Jan 8, 2011 at 11:52 am

Right. Continue to comment anonymously, unable to hold your argument.

Again, this event was for a single individual – Greg Fischer.

The Zoo and Light Up Louisville aren’t for individuals. And they’re not holding parades arranged for private events.

You can continue to defend the inaugural events. But until I see proof that Fischer paid for EVERYTHING – including usage of streets for a parade and or police manpower, etc, then my argument is pretty solid.

FYI – I pay for storage, data and bandwith. It doesn’t come to me for free. And I pay heavily for it. So that little argument? Right.

If you were over it? You wouldn’t be commenting anonymously, beating a dead horse, making me money in the process.

Bring it.

• 32 Laughing Hard // Jan 15, 2011 at 11:31 am

I guess I still don’t understand why the use of my name denegrates the logic of my argument? What point does this serve? Do you think I’m some behind-the-scenes handler for Fisher? So, if that’s the case, then if I gave my name, does this affirm that I win this puny debate?

But again, this event was for Greg Fisher – AND IT WAS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC……just like the Zoo, etc, etc!

Oh, and let’s be clear, I’m not defending the question of “Should he” put on such an extravagent affair. I’m defending the idea that YOU nor ME have the right to question how he spends HIS PERSONAL MONEY.

Also, you pay for storage, data, and bandwidth…..but how those tax funds are used to manage, create, and maintain those networks…..right.

I did bring it. Your only defense was that because I didn’t give my name, my argument is invalid. Very poor circle logic my fair weather spin doctor.

• 33 jake // Jan 15, 2011 at 12:35 pm

The events required tickets and the crowd was limited. So, no, the event wasn’t entirely public. And some of the functions required paid tickets.

It wasn’t Greg Fischer’s personal money. The tax dollars spent were most certainly not his. And the funds that were raised were not his personal funds (wanna get into a campaign finance discussion? cause that’s just about the only area in life where I KNOW I will win any argument). And when those funds were raised? None of the raisers were indicating how much would be spent or what it would be spent on.

Really? You “brought” it, eh?

You said you were done with this. Apparently it’s really, deeply under your skin.