President Barack Obama On DADT Repeal

December 18th, 2010 by jake · 12 Comments

Here’s President Barack Obama’s statement on the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell:

Today, the Senate has taken an historic step toward ending a policy that undermines our national security while violating the very ideals that our brave men and women in uniform risk their lives to defend. By ending “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” no longer will our nation be denied the service of thousands of patriotic Americans forced to leave the military, despite years of exemplary performance, because they happen to be gay. And no longer will many thousands more be asked to live a lie in order to serve the country they love.

As Commander-in-Chief, I am also absolutely convinced that making this change will only underscore the professionalism of our troops as the best led and best trained fighting force the world has ever known. And I join the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, as well as the overwhelming majority of service members asked by the Pentagon, in knowing that we can responsibly transition to a new policy while ensuring our military strength and readiness.

I want to thank Majority Leader Reid, Senators Lieberman and Collins and the countless others who have worked so hard to get this done. It is time to close this chapter in our history. It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed. It is time to allow gay and lesbian Americans to serve their country openly. I urge the Senate to send this bill to my desk so that I can sign it into law.

Finally feel somewhat proud of Washington and sense a super-tiny bit of relief. When I was a kid, I couldn’t have imagined this sort of thing happening my lifetime.

I hope this changes the United States of America for the better.

Thanks to those of you who don’t discriminate and realize people like me are complete human beings just like yourself.

Tags: Discrimination · Gays · Politics

• 1 ClearAndPresentThinking // Dec 18, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Bradley Manning, aka gay guy who holds the second lowest rank in the US military stole many thousands of classified documents and gave them to Wikileaks. This solo gay guy managed to frag the entire US Goverment while pretending to listen to Lady Gaga’s song telephone.

My appologies to Lady Gaga that such a dweeb would even attempt the complex lyrics and double-segways that she is the master of. Bradley is clearly no Gaga.

Before Obama goes gaga over DADT how about a little feedback from the real kick-but guys in the military. You know, not the ones who sit behind desks, operate drones thousands of miles away, not the cooks, not the bursars, not the Yoeman. Yes, that’s right, you know who I’m talking about, the US Marines. These guys are pros at killing bad guys and breaking everything the bad guys own. Like majic baby, these guys do the dirty work. God, I love ‘em.

As for me the Bradely dude is a traitor and will soon be in SuperMax with Aldich Ames and Robert Hanssen.

As for DODT, I will respect the wishes of the US Marine Corps and wait to hear from the guys in the zone.

Besides, didn’t the Democrats just lose?

• 2 Marty // Dec 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Where’s the like button? YAY!

• 3 jake // Dec 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Whaaaaat? Cliff Johns/ClearAndPresentThinking of TumeMaster, Inc. is a homophobic asshole? Imagine that.

A man who says he does international business with companies that don’t hate the gays is leaving homophobic comments? Imagine that.

I thought you said you were finished commenting here on The ‘Ville Voice?

If you don’t like it? Don’t read it. Don’t want your business name associated with your homophobic nastiness? Don’t leave homophobic comments.

NOTE: No, I don’t randomly out people unless you’re repeatedly leaving ridiculous comments or spewing homophobic shit. This is not a free speech zone.

• 4 CrescentHillion // Dec 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm

“Respecting the wishes of the US Marine Corps” undermines the whole concept of civilian command of the military that differentiates us from, say, Pakistan.

And it’s not like the ramifications of the change weren’t exhaustively reviewed. It’s been discussed for 17 years. After the last review was completed at the end of November naked bigotry was the only reason to oppose repeal.

• 5 JasonL // Dec 18, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Yeah, that was what we would call “specious reasoning” there, CloudyThinking. Because Manning is gay and leaked documents he shows that gays shouldn’t be in the military?
    Replace “gay” with black or Asian or mexican and does that prove “those people” shouldn’t be in the military?
    So, Bernie Madoff ran a huge ponzi scheme. Does that mean all whites are thieves? Wait, Charles Manson told his follower to slaughter people, does that mean white guys will use their power to make people kill?
    If this is the logic you use to run your business, then your business must suck…

• 6 Steve Magruder // Dec 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Good job, Mr. President.

And CAPT, you do realize that Manning is merely accused at this point, right? And I dare say you probably don’t even realize what actual damage has been caused by the leaks, beyond crap that has been force-fed to you by the likes of Faux Noise. And how dare you malign other gays and lesbians serving. All who serve are individuals and should be treated as such. If Manning committed crimes, he alone will face the consequences.

As for the Democrats losing, they indeed lost the House… starting next year. The Democratic House that currently exists had the Constitutional and legal right to pass the repeal of DADT.

• 7 East Ender // Dec 19, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Ah Jake, continuing the tradition of what Dems/liberals do best. If you are not with me than I am against you and I will do anything to defame you. But hey it’s no fun if all the opinions on here are just like yours. But let them differ on a topic and you attack someone personally.

• 8 CrescentHillion // Dec 19, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Obviously using Bradley Manning as a scapegoat for gays and lesbians in the military is illogical and stupid.

But it’s equally obvious that the three caches of stolen documents have damaged the confidence of foreign officials in sharing information with the United States and endangered the lives of locals helping America in Iraq and Afghanistan.

• 9 jake // Dec 19, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Really, East Ender?

A jackass – with a history of leaving disgustingly nasty and homophobic comments gets outed and I’m instantly defaming someone?

Blow me. Homophobia is not welcome here. I couldn’t give two shits what anyone thinks about it.

I own this shit. I get to decide what is and isn’t said. It’s not a free speech zone.

Don’t like it? Disappear. Really easy.

• 10 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Dec 19, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I don’t see how there could have been any other result than revoking DADT.

Where I think the goal of DADT was to try and build into the code of military conduct, some sort of regulatory forced discretion, it was undoubtedly unconstitutional and discriminatory against the gay community. Proud and brave gay Americans should be allowed to serve our country without fear of reprisal.

My only fear is that the new policy will have chance to be proven as sound, before some bigot or some misguided gay activist who wants their 15 minutes of fame, creates a huge controversial situation that tarnishes the entire policy.

Unfortunately, in the 24hr/talking head news cycle media environment, thousands can serve bravely, but it only takes a few ignorant people or single attention-whore, to provide opponents of DADT that “see I told you so” opportunity. Fingers crossed.

• 11 Billy Taylor // Dec 20, 2010 at 9:56 am

Would you people try to get a clue? Homosexuals have been serving in the military for a lot longer than this political football DADT has been around. If you do not think so, then ask your favorite veteran. It has been unfair to the homosexual community that this issue was even considered, and then made policy. The amount of negativity brought on by this has been amazing and regressive.
    To think it matters to the person standing the line in defense of his country the sexual orientation of the person next to him is just plain dumb. We don’t have a standing army to screw people, or each other, we fight. Does homosexual mean you can’t fight? Does heterosexual mean you can fight?

I served with professional solders, black, white, brown, yellow, Christians, Buddhist, Jews, Muslims, men, women, straight, and homosexual. Not one time did anyone try to kiss me, or convert me.

All of them however were willing to stand with me in defense of America. And by the way, they like me were, and still are, willing to give their life in this effort if they had to. How many of the Ville Voice readers who are bitiching about this would be willing to do the same?

DADT was a political idea, to garner votes, and I am glad it is finished. Maybe our elected officials can move on to something more important instead of trying to divide us.

• 12 Albert C. // Dec 20, 2010 at 10:56 am

Gay. Vietnam vet. Volunteer, not draftee. 6 years USNR (active duty). I read somewhere that to be a member of the armed forces meant that at some given time and place you wrote a check to the United States for any amount, up to and including, your life. I did that. I meant it. And being gay had nothing to do with it. I was simply a guy who loved his country and felt that I was needed. My war was an unpopular war. No bands played when we came home. And there were no names and pictures to express gratitude at the end of newscasts. But given the same circumstances, I would do it all again. Of the people I served wth, I do not know who, if any, knew that I was gay. But I hope and believe that whoever knew really did not care. I did my job the best I could, just as they did theirs. And we all came through it together. But I must admit that not having to hide who and what I was would have made it much easier to do something I really loved. I am glad that the many gays serving now, and those to come, can serve their country openly and proudly, as just plain Americans, – not Gay, Black, Christian, Jew, Muslim, straight, whatever – just as plain Americans.