Garson & Ivory Sink To Nasty New Low

October 28th, 2010 by jake · 34 Comments

You know I don’t like referring to the Courier-Journal and usually call it A Kentucky Newspaper – primarily because of reporters melting down in the comments here and on Page One and trashing me all over the place because I have actual ethics. Because a reporter flat-out called me a liar in the comments (I proved him wrong). Because another reporter is a plagiarist. Because a web editor freaked out over a photograph of a newspaper box. Because there have been countless occasions when editors at that shit stain of a paper haven’t had the guts to properly cite me, my publications or others who deserve to be referred to by their full names, with complete URLs.

But I’m done.

We all know Dan Klepal outed a confidential source named Tyler Hess – something for which he may have been forced to do. And he spread it on WFPL’s website. On LEO. On Facebook. Everywhere. And then everyone at the C-J freaked out when LEO dared to question his reporting.

Funny how C-J – specifically Klepal – freaked at LEO for daring to use a confidential source. He went on for hours about how the C-J would never use an anonymous source. And then uses one in this latest mess. A source I hear is affiliated with the Fischer campaign.

We all know the GLI-Mayor’s Office series by Chris Otts has been withheld until after the election.

We all know the Fischer endorsement came weirdly on a Wednesday to stave off the horrible SurveyUSA data.

We all know Greg Fischer is the paper’s chosen boy. Because Greg is the establishment. Backed by the very people who have invested in me. Because the paper is the establishment. Backed by the people who want to keep this city in the dark ages.

Look at this:

You see that? It’s a hit piece, written by Klepal, about how horrible Hal Heiner is for not disclosing his dead ex-wife. Got it? DEAD EX-WIFE.

Republican mayoral candidate Hal Heiner acknowledged Thursday that he neglected to inform The Courier-Journal during interviews about his private life that he married and divorced in the 1970s before marrying his current wife of 33 years.

-SNIP-

Heiner married Beth Napier in 1971, at age 19.

The couple divorced in 1975. Napier is now deceased.

-SNIP-

Why is this relevant five days before an election? The woman is dead. It’s not like he was hiding some big, dark secret. And a divorce? Really? What’s the divorce rate in this state, again?

Garson & Ivory – the folks who ordered this hit piece – owe Louisville an apology. Gannett should seriously punish them. And Gannett executives need to hop on their plane and fly down here – this weekend – and demand reporters’ notes to verify these alleged anonymous sources.

Here’s what I know:

• Dan Klepal tells people he didn’t want to run this piece – Garson made him. So I can’t really hold it against him. Besides, it’s not his call to print something. So don’t go blaming him.
  • Ivory tells folks that nothing is out of bounds when it comes to mayoral politics.

And since the C-J has sunk to a new low, let’s start talking about everything we know. Here’s a taste, everything is already common knowledge, but the press is afraid to talk about it:

• Greg Fischer’s son, George, was arrested last month for buying marijuana. He was let off and the dealer is being prosecuted. Go read all about it on lmpd.com. And while we’re at it, let’s talk about how the kid caused a scene with Jim King’s campaign at the end of the primary. That’s definitely worth some new exploration.
  • Greg’s Caddy got wrecked recently and his campaign staff is working like crazy to keep that private.
  • Greg worked to bust up several unions at his companies.
  • Greg and his sister, Lynn, fought against unionization with the current arena behemoth downtown.
  • Greg also got hit with a lawsuit over collective bargaining at Cardinal Stadium.
  • Jerry Abramson’s son was pulled over while driving a city car. He also allegedly broke into a home with some pals and left his cell phone behind.

Should I go on? Since everything is fair game, according to the C-J.

This is absolutely disgusting. This is not journalism. This is propaganda. I encourage elected officials, journalists, reporters, media personalities, bloggers, Republicans, Democrats, observers to speak out about this crap.

Louisville cannot afford what the Courier-Journal is pushing as news any longer.

Tags: Bad Behavior · Courier-Journal · Criticism · Gannett · Greg Fischer · Mayor's Race 2010 · Newspaper

• 1 Sam // Oct 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm

If you are asked about your marital history and forget to mention one, the paper is supposed to ignore that?

• 2 jake // Oct 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm

So, which are you, Will or Chris?

• 3 Dino // Oct 28, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Great coverage again Jake, the CJ sinks to a new low. I am sure Klepal will have the guts to do an expose about Fischer lying about the ice machine deal. This paper is the worst I’ve ever seen.

• 4 Dino // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:02 pm

corrected, if Klepal is not to blame I apologize but you are correct about Ivory and Garson

• 5 jake // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:03 pm

“First, we would not have used the anonymous source, even if we had it.” — Dan Klepal on October 22 at 10:46 a.m. on Jonathan Meador’s Facebook wall.

He said that. And then used an anonymous source (or Fischer campaign official) in his own story.

That’s some hypocrisy.

BUT – I don’t believe it’s necessarily fair to blame Klepal for this particular story. This is a full-on hit piece ordered by his bosses. And he’s told people from the Heiner camp to other news organizations in town that very thing.

Bennie Ivory’s also acting like it’s no big deal. But he and Garson ordered this story.

• 6 Jay S // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:07 pm

In complete agreement with you, Jake. This is trash of the first order and we can all see it for what it is. The C-J’s political coverage this election season has been a total disaster. Yellow journalism might be too kind. Thanks for saying what needs to be said.

• 7 Dino // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm

All I can say again is that I appreciate the work that you, Springston, LEO, and a few others do. Without these blogs – we would have no legit journalism in this town. The way the CJ has swept all the Abramson crap under the rug (the most criminal being the animal control stuff) and then to bring this up at the 11th hour??? Unbelievable. They are not a newspaper, they are the PR machine for the small group of elites who run this city.

Shameful.

• 8 JC // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I don’t like the story. At all. But there’s a difference between attributing facts to an anonymous source, and hearing a tip then confirming it with someone on the record. Jake, surely you’re not opposing the use of tipsters?

[In this case, I just wish the tipster had been ignored]

• 9 jake // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Don’t even start spinning me, JC.

Tipsters? Come on. This was a confidential source. Something Klepal spent ample time attacking. Only to turn around and use just days later.

• 10 AttentionWhore // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:25 pm

You had me at “Funny how C-J – specifically Klepal – freaked at LEO for daring to use a confidential source. He went on for hours about how the C-J would never use an anonymous source. And, then, uses one in this latest mess. A source I hear is affiliated with the Fischer campaign.” LOL. Publishing anonymous stories, from 30 years ago, by a men’s magazine showed that A Kentucky Newspaper is full of shit.

• 11 JC // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:29 pm

So, do you oppose using info from someone without naming them?

I’m certainly not defending the story!

• 12 jake // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with anonymous sourcing.

Unless you spend time attacking other publications for using anonymous sources, working to diminish their credibility and going after their livelihoods.

Then it becomes a big deal.

• 13 jake // Oct 28, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Just noticed this at the bottom of the story:

Tony Lindauer should be ashamed.

UPDATE @ 9:18 A.M. THE NEXT DAY: Lindauer’s folks tell me the “Like” button on the article was not intentionally clicked. Seems they don’t directly approve of this mess, either, regardless of who they support in the race.

• 14 Jay // Oct 29, 2010 at 12:00 am

Jake,
    You and I have not agreed on much…but the Kentucky Newspaper is God Awful. There is nothing left about that paper that has any value. They are a perpetual spin machine for the “Establishment”! They are also in the top 5 reasons why we are 20 some odd years into a discussion about getting a bridge! I am sure you know this…but in case you don’t…one of the editors of the paper is married to a lady named Mimi who is President of River Fields that has been the catalyst to blocking the East end bridge since the beginning.

• 15 curtis morrison // Oct 29, 2010 at 12:28 am

Speaking of Tony Lindauer, his opponent Corey Koellner, is a really nice guy. And he has this ethical hang-up about accurate assessing property. His sign is in my yard already.

• 16 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Oct 29, 2010 at 2:47 am

What’s interesting about this hit piece, is that it has absolutley no point. Last time I checked, Heiner wasn’t bashing Fischer over a divorce or pulling some holy roller position.

The only remote basis found for the article was the noted:

“An acquaintance of Heiner contacted The Courier-Journal Thursday, expressing disappointment that the story did not mention Napier.”

So that’s why they ran the story? Because the CJ felt this unnamed acquaintance’s “disappointment” needed to be avenged….

Once again, I ask the CJ….What is the point of this article?

• 17 Steve Magruder // Oct 29, 2010 at 2:55 am

The Courier-Journal folks must realize that the candidate they endorsed for mayor is a proven congenital liar, and this hit piece is an apparent attempt to make the candidates look “even” with respect to lack of honesty.

• 18 Billy Taylor // Oct 29, 2010 at 6:01 am

Watch out Jake, as I told you, “Fair and Balanced”, is hard to come by in Louisville. Your blog is setting a new standard in this town. Thanks for the in-depth coverage of the candidates, their positions and the issues that affect Louisville.

• 19 James // Oct 29, 2010 at 7:34 am

What happened to transparency, Hal?

• 20 jake // Oct 29, 2010 at 7:39 am

Transparency?

That’s Greg Fischer’s schtick. So where are those other 100 names of his advisers? Why’s he hiding his traffic accident? Why isn’t he telling everyone his son was arrested with pot? How about the reality that Craig Greenberg was pushed out of the race – with threats that Museum Plaza would suffer – so Greg could run?

Or, maybe we could talk about how disgusted Lisa Tanner was with Greg that she refused to have anything to do with the campaign?

Yeah.

Transparency, my ass.

• 21 gil // Oct 29, 2010 at 7:56 am

I just spent 30 minutes reading the commentary at the CJ and have begun to wonder if the editors have realized what a storm they have started. Seems like many of the commentators who are normally left or centrist are offended by this article.

I am betting the sources include Mr. Poynter, who seems to have a direct line to their executive staff.

• 22 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Oct 29, 2010 at 7:57 am

James, what does this fact scenario have to do with anything in regards to his fitness to be mayor? Did he lie about it or ever make some assertion that he’s never been divorced or came out against divorce?

If this is supposed to be some 11th hour gotcha moment that supposed to break in Greg’s favor, I have news for you; it’s not 1954. People don’t really care if someone got divorced 35 years ago.

• 23 gil // Oct 29, 2010 at 8:15 am

Jake, by and by, thank you for the great article. Please keep up the efforts.

• 24 Steve Magruder // Oct 29, 2010 at 8:40 am

If anything, this is going to drive a lot more votes to Heiner out of sympathy. James is delusional.

• 25 South Ender // Oct 29, 2010 at 9:19 am

I want to echo Dino’s comments about how the local bloggers are, in fact, providing info to the community that the C-J simply refuses to do.

Spin Central is located at 6th & Broadway.

So here’s a question that seeks an answer:
    If the C-J is failing this community, then WHY has not some enterprising individual/group sought to compete head-to-head with them?

The “new” media still is not the dominant media (although it IS growing). How much longer will the C-J be allowed to remain dominant? Is this the time to inform the C-J’s advertisers that folks will spend their money somewhere else? I really don’t have “the” answer to this C-J problem.

It sounds to me like many of the elites (both DEM and REP) are happy with the status quo.

• 26 Gordon Garrett // Oct 29, 2010 at 10:18 am

Jake, thanks for providing a news outlet that’s consistently fair and balanced. That’s why A Kentucky Newspaper is rapidly declining. Keep up the great work!

• 27 Ed // Oct 29, 2010 at 10:39 am

I just replaced the cj with the villevoice under my favorites. I guess cancelling my subscription years ago wasn’t enough. I refuse to even visit the website.

• 28 JC Stites // Oct 29, 2010 at 10:56 am

FYI, “JC” above is not JC Stites.

• 29 jake // Oct 29, 2010 at 11:09 am

“JC” above should disclose the name of his former employer and his current employer.

I think readers would like to know that.

• 30 SpaceCowboy // Oct 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm

This is probably off topic, but if someone wanted to cancel their CJ subscription, how do they get the ads/coupons from sunday any other way? I only get the sunday paper for those, but I still feel dirty for even buying a CJ anymore. I know internet coupons are out there, but they require “printer apps” that double as spyware. Any suggestions?

• 31 jake // Oct 29, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Do you really save that much on your pre-processed and preserved & packaged “food” products?

Use sites like Amazon to see when certain items are on sale or discounted there. Do the same with other sites. Hit up places like Consumerist & Gizmodo every day to see when there are deals on items. And visit various other websites that track sales and deals.

If coupons are your schtick, be sure to use your grocery store’s discount program, pick up the free circulars and get a friend to give you their unused coupons.

• 32 Phil // Oct 29, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Only do your food shopping on the exterior walls of the grocery store and you won’t need to worry about coupons. Remember to visit farmers markets in addition to the grocery store.

• 33 Steve Magruder // Oct 29, 2010 at 2:23 pm

SpaceCowboy, I have not had any technical issues with printing coupons from 1) coupons.com; 2) redplum.com; 3) smartsource.com

Also, if you shop at Kroger and use their card, you can load electronic coupons from several sources, including the Kroger site itself.

• 34 Linda // Oct 30, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I’m not sure if this is universal, but we get an advertising packet delivered every Sunday. It always includes entreaties to subscribe, but since they give me the Sunday coupons, there is no reason to do so. For all the reasons mentioned above, there is simply no reason to subscribe. And, as progressive as I am, I felt literally ill as I read the article online. Yellow journalism at its finest, as if the editors took a big ol wiz on the coke-glass windows…