Jackie Green Hits Opponents Pretty Hard

October 5th, 2010 by jake · 15 Comments

Independent mayoral candidate Jackie Green, who is getting almost no traction in the race, sent out an email blast just before 10:00 A.M. this morning that loosely attacks Hal Heiner:

NOTE: This is not an endorsement of Hal Heiner.
- Hal is willing to let the next greenfield development still on the developer’s drawing board diminish private investment, public infrastructure & metro services for all existing neighborhoods.
- Hal thinks we have the money to build some unknown variation on the Ohio River Bridges Project (ORBP) and to build a world class transportation system.
- Hal will not challenge our local economy’s dependency on Kentucky Coal.

And seriously hits Greg Fischer:

Greg Fischer … inconsistent, incongruent, conflicting thought.

-SNIP-

Greg Fischer…..
talks about hiring local talent but hires a campaign manager from Rhode Island.
talks about supporting local business but had his website developed by a Washington D.C. firm.
thinks it is not the mayor’s place to comment on the school assignment plan.
thinks we support the local food economy while destroying local farms.
thinks straight talk is going negative.
thinks discussing controversial issues is divisive.
talks about “jobs, jobs, jobs” yet will not challenge our economy’s dependency on Kentucky Coal.
talks about building teams but has never been to a Metro Council meeting.
accuses Hal Heiner of being an ‘insider’.
didn’t think we needed to “burn mental calories” pondering the financing of the ORBP.

Communication just days after Jackie Green announced his mayoral candidacy….
Jackie Green: Greg, I’d like to sit down with you & talk about a couple of issues, namely, transportation & land use.
Greg Fischer: Jackie, you are competition now, I don’t think we should talk.
Does Louisville want leadership that will not listen to other opinions?

Conversation re: land use…..
Greg Fischer: Jackie, you can’t tell people where to live.
Jackie Green: I do not want to tell people where to live, I just do not want to enable them to live in the wrong places.
Greg Fischer: Jackie, that is a value judgment.
Don’t values inform most of what we do (or fail to do)?
Is this thoughtful leadership for Louisville?

Ruh ro.

Tags: Greg Fischer · Mayor's Race 2010 · Oops

• 1 Steve Magruder // Oct 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I am becoming increasing convinced that, outside of social issues, Fischer is the conservative in this race, and Heiner is the rational centrist.

• 2 what? // Oct 5, 2010 at 12:51 pm

ouch!! Green has accomplished several of is goals in this election…

• 3 jake // Oct 5, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Meanwhile, “progressives” will claim they support Fischer over Heiner because of his stance on the gays. While totally supporting Tom Riner over Nathan Haney, despite Riner’s stance on the gays.

(*cough* Mike Slaton *cough*)

• 4 Dino // Oct 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm

“It is becoming increasingly clear to me that Fischer is the one would let developers do whatever they want, while Heiner actually has a record of ensuring that developers don’t ramrod everything they want without respect to community desires. But is Heiner as green as Green — of course not. But at least Heiner has spoken somewhat eloquently with regards to what we can do about brownfields, even as he is keen to do considerably more greenfield development.”

You hit the nail on the head Steve. Look at the strong support Fischer has with several prominent developers. They know they can walk all over Fischer.

• 5 Janie Miller // Oct 5, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I don’t wish Jackie any I’ll feelings — in fact, he is a neighbor of mine. But he is really becoming a joke of a candidate. I actually had some pretty high hopes for his campaign but have been disappointed. Each day that passes, I am becoming increasingly convinced that Fischer is the best candidate. Hal is a close second but his stance on gays is something me and my family cannot overlook.

• 6 jake // Oct 5, 2010 at 1:38 pm

If you’re Janie Miller, you’ll need to prove it or stop using that name.

That said – how, exactly, has Jackie become a joke of a candidate? Is it that he criticizes Greg Fischer with the facts?

And what is Hal’s stance on gays?

• 7 Steve Magruder // Oct 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Dino, I’ll go one further: It is my estimation that Fischer has set himself up to have his policies essentially controlled by a number of factions: Developers, River Fields, C-J Editorial Board, union leaders, LGBTs, etc.

Fischer will, without question, be a puppet mayor of the special interests. He is simply not his own man.

• 8 CrescentHillion // Oct 5, 2010 at 2:23 pm

He says Fischer refused to talk to him about land use and then quotes Fischer talking to him about land use.

And to say Fischer said he won’t “comment on the student assignment plan” is totally inaccurate.

His attacks on Heiner about greenfield development are equally cryptic and weird.

• 9 The Highlander // Oct 5, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Steve Magruder: You’ve hit the proverbial nail directly on its head. Fischer is a controlled candidate — by certain interests that have controlled this city since the days of Harvey Sloane. I’ve been saying this for weeks on end. George’s son IS NOT his own man — in addition to George, he’s controlled by the CJ editorial board (as if he was in their box), the RiverFields crowd to whom he owes his financing (because the Fischer family is notoriously penurious, and the union leaders who are the pawns (also) of Larry Clark and Jerry Bronger. My God — what a group to be behind the scenes. THIS JUST CAN’T HAPPEN.

• 10 Steve Magruder // Oct 5, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Highlander, thanks, and I know you’ve been saying Fischer is not his own man for weeks. I kind of purloined your phraseology for my argument. I hope you don’t mind. :)

By ‘penurious’, do you mean that Fischer’s own extended family isn’t contributing financially to his campaign?

• 11 tbrauch // Oct 5, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Speaking of Fischer’s stance on the gays… I’ve been asking the following question for a week now and no one can find an answer for me.

Does Fischer offer same sex benefits at his companies? Does the insurance he provides at his companies cover gender reassignment surgery?

If the answer is no, what makes the gays think he will change once he becomes mayor? If the answer is yes, how come nobody has answered the question for a week now?

• 12 JTT // Oct 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm

No, he does not offer such benefits to his employees – but then, I don’t think he’s nearly as “in control” of “his” companies as he would like everyone to think.

As for Heiner’s stance, I don’t care what he thinks or believes personally, I only care whether he will uphold the law – which he doesn’t create anyway. The Metro Council creates local law. He HAS said he will enforce whatever law is on the books, that is what is important.

• 13 The Highlander // Oct 5, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Steve: No, I mean that they’ve a history of UOPM (Using Other People’s Money).

• 14 tbrauch // Oct 5, 2010 at 11:55 pm

My point is that if you are a one issue voter, on LGBT issues, Fischer is not your man. He’s not this magic sparkled and glittery pink rainbow unicorn that certain groups in Louisville would have you think he is. And thus, you need to look towards other issues.

And how progressive people can support Fischer on any other issue is beyond me.

(BTW, he sold his ice machine inventing company to a company that scores a 0 on the HRC workplace equality index, how’s that for progressive on gay rights?)

• 15 The Highlander // Oct 6, 2010 at 7:48 am

After re-reading this blog this morning, I’m now convinced. Janie Miller is EITHER a Fischer interloper in sheep’s clothing or she’s an idiot.