Greg Fischer’s Not-New Transparency Plan

September 28th, 2010 by jake · 21 Comments

Today Greg Fischer announced a four-point plan for transparency:

1. Create Louisville Statistics, or LouieStat – a program that will publicize statistics online so citizens can see exactly how tax dollars are being spent and when services are coming to their neighborhood. Citizens could log onto LouieStat to know when their street is scheduled for repaving; when the grass will be cut in their neighborhood park; or when sidewalks and street lights will be repaired. They can also access information about response times and spending on a range of city services, including pothole repair, remediation of vacant housing, permitting, and trash collection.
  2. Put more city services online and creating iPhone and smart phone apps so the public can have access to government information, including a feature in which people can snap pictures of neighborhood problems then e-mail them, with geocoding, to the city. A citizen, for example, could snap a picture of a broken sidewalk or a pothole and send that information in for repair. And, on LouieStat, you could track the progress of your request.
  3. Provide flexible hours for city government, including nights and weekends. Citizens should not have to come to City Hall during the day to do most city business.
  4. Hold budget hearing in neighborhoods. Currently, there is little to no citizen input when the mayor builds the budget – that will change as Greg asks citizens for their input on what should be funded. And, once the budget is presented to the Metro Council, Greg will encourage the council to hold hearings in neighborhoods, not just downtown at City Hall, as currently happens.

Here’s a picture of Fischer at the presser:

CLICK TO ENLARGE

I’ll let you come up with your own jokes.

Here’s how the Heiner camp responded:

In a familiar trend Greg Fischer has once again co-opted Hal’s policy as his own and expanded government services without any explanation of how he’ll pay for them. For someone who claims to be an inventor Greg has had tremendous difficulty inventing his own policy. Louisville deserves a mayor with ideas and Hal Heiner is the only candidate with those original ideas.

To Hal Heiner’s credit, he’s already released the plans for which Fischer is claiming as his own.

See Points 3, 5 and 8 (Warning: External PDF Link): 3. Post Louisville’s “Legal Books” Online, 5. Post a Debt Calendar and Schedule Online and 8. When’s My Street Getting Paved?

And take a look at page 3, second bullet point (Warning: External PDF Link): Pothole in Your Street? There’s an App for That.

How original.

Tags: Greg Fischer · Mayor's Race 2010 · Metro Government · Transparency

• 1 Janie Miller // Sep 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm

The LouisStat sounds pretty cool.
    Wonder how it will work exactly? I checked out the Boston app.

I think he has some good ideas here.

• 2 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Sep 28, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I thought that was a Photoshop’d photo. That has to be the most ridiculous set-up I have ever seen.

Why didn’t he go ahead and bring out the waste basket and set it by the desk and maybe hang some wall photos from a line behind him to finish the whole look.

Not to mention the desk is so big that he looks like a little kid sitting behind it.

Gary Bauer falling off the stage flipping a pancake thinks that was an embarrassing photo-op.

• 3 Concerned for All // Sep 28, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Seriously? Will we have to pay city workers overtime and double time for working weekends or later hours? The compensation of most city workers are minimal at best, now you want to tell them they have to work nights and weekends? They will expect to be compensated for it..I know I would. Greg Fischer, does the city of Louisville have the money for this in the budget? SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

• 4 The Highlander // Sep 28, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Janie Miller’s post ASIDE (I don’t have time to suffer fools any more), I think she should join George’s son at the ‘big’ desk. The two of them could appear together — equally ridiculous. God help this City if George’s son wins this race. It’s gotten to the point that he appears to be a child in the Sesame Street, sitting behind big desks and playing with Elmo (and Janie). I’ve got to find a bridge to jump off of.

• 5 Janie Miller // Sep 28, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Why is “The Highlander” so bitter? And why do you hide behind a fake name?

• 6 The Highlander // Sep 28, 2010 at 7:03 pm

My panoply of posts do not reflect bitterness. Instead, they reflect reality instead of the fruity myth that is so prevalent in local political circles. Your second question is my prerogative. I presumed Janie used a nom de plum, too. Enough said.

• 7 jake // Sep 28, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Rule: You’re not allowed to say “nom de plum” without linking to this.

And you’re right. I doubt Janie Miller would comment here.

• 8 garyguss // Sep 28, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Greg looks like the Little King

• 9 mneag // Sep 28, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Is he running for Mayor, or selling lemonade?

• 10 JTT // Sep 28, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Concerned – not necessarily – just adjust hours, say, on Tuesday, Mary works noon to 8 instead of 8-4. Not a problem.

Here’s my question – why is “Government” TV on “Pay TV?” How about putting it on a broadcast channel so everyone can see committee and council meetings – or streaming it live?

• 11 what? // Sep 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Streaming it live…now that is a great idea.

As to the commercial spot, my first inclination was WTF…He is so bland normally that they are throwing in some ridiculous story line to try to position Greg as somehow MTV cutting edge? And the photo, that came out of his campaign office? Looks like Dukakis in his tank…

• 12 Elvis Presley // Sep 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm

The Metro Council is ALREADY streamed live. Implemented three years ago when King was President. Shouldn’t do budget hearings in remote locations unless live TV and web streaming can be arranged at those locations but Mayor could ask for community input as he prepares his budget. That would be unique.

• 13 Elvis Presley // Sep 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm

And I like everything the Highlander says even if he spouts tripe from time to time.

• 14 Myral // Sep 28, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Oh my gosh… this is NOT who I want for my mayor. Grow up!
    Heiner gets my vote.

• 15 Rob Mattheu // Sep 28, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Lemonade stand fundraisers are an excellent idea.

• 16 Roger // Sep 29, 2010 at 8:30 am

“And now for something completely different…” (No, not really)

• 17 The Highlander // Sep 29, 2010 at 11:58 am

NEWS FLASH: BIG FUNDRAISER TONIGHT FOR GEORGE’S SON. 3 Guesses where it is? First to guesses don’t count. — You’re RIGHT — Owsley and Christie Brown’s mansion on THE River IN SCENIC GLENVIEW. Same place where Harvey’s and Happy Pants’ galas were. And guess who’s coming to dinner — Same ‘ole’ same ‘ole: The entire Brown-Forman clan plus “Pumpkin” Auerbach, George “the dad”, “Beaver” McMahon, Ballard Morton (I thought he was a GOPer), John and MM Greenebaum — man — the list goes on. What a collection. A ball will be had at this snobtown gala!!!! The only ones apparently missing are the BingHAMs.
    If this isn’t proof enough that this WHOLE campaign is LITTLE MORE THAN HARVEY SLOANE WARMED OVER, I don’t know what else is needed.

• 18 jake // Sep 29, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I wouldn’t call C&O’s home a mansion.

The Hocker home, where Greg’s already had some events? That’s a mansion.

• 19 The Highlander // Sep 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Elvis: Thanks for the compliment. I’ll try my darndest to avoid ‘any tripe’ ’cause I’m a fan of yours, particularly “Blue Suede Shoes.”
    Jake: I’ve seen C&O’s spread and the view overlooking THE river and THE country club qualifies it (in my judgment) plus the little windy road makes it sorta like Alice in Wonderland, but the Hocker manse is also qualified.

• 20 JTT // Sep 29, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Where is is streamed, what is the website?

• 21 JTT // Sep 29, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Here’s my question – which of these two do you think will be able to handle a city emergency they day after being sworn in? Say, a major snow/ice storm? We don’t have time for a mayor to get a learning curve, we need someone who at least has a clue about how the system works. I really don’t want a government virgin sitting in the big chair – they will need to be able to take charge immediately upon taking office. Heiner, at least, has a clue how it works, I’m not sure Fischer even knows WHERE the Mayor’s office is located – let alone the EOC.