You Just Can’t Have It Both Ways, Crescent Hill

September 23rd, 2010 by jake · 39 Comments

Isn’t it cute how some folks in Crescent Hill complain non-stop about horrible cell phone reception but lose their shiz when someone tries to resolve the problem? WTF is wrong with building a cell phone tower off Frankfort Avenue? How is it bad for everyone in the neighborhood? It’s going up on quite possibly the ugliest part of the hood. Eyesore? Have you SEEN half the eyesores in this neighborhood? Come on. [WHAS11]

A list of delinquent property owners will be published today. There are 263 names on the list and a total of $17,801,068 in fines owed! [Press Release]

I’m repeating myself, but you need to read it again. Greg Fischer’s campaign is being completely dishonest when it comes to Hal Heiner’s votes on the smoking ban and the STAR program. [Phillip Bailey]

Louisville is number 16 on the twat box! [HuffPo]

Here’s a liberal radio look at the U.S. Senate race between Jack Conway and Rand Paul. [NPR]

I told you about this CITYspace on Main thing the other day, but the mayor has decided not to show up. So now you could maybe go. Michelle has jumped on the story a few days later and posted part of a press release. [Consuming Louisville]

Here’s a deeper look at the building that collapsed on Story Avenue yesterday. The building probably committed suicide because of the disgusting smell its caked with.  I wish he’d spread his updates out instead of posting them all on the same sporadic day. [Broken Sidewalk Here & Here]

A final report’s been issued in the August Jefferson County Public Schools bus crash. [WAVE3]

Kentucky schools are struggling to meet goals because it’s all about job protection and what’s right for the teacher, never the student. It’s time for people to wake up. [FOX41]

Tags: Bad Behavior · Butchertown · Downtown · Education · Greg Fischer · Jack Conway · JCPS · Mayor's Race 2010 · Metro Government · Neighborhoods · Radio · Senate Race · Smoking Ban

• 1 blowin' in the wind // Sep 23, 2010 at 8:16 am

Jake, I know you are on the outs–and should be–with cj, but the information they published this morning tells you next to nothing about the scores and their implications for the district’s future–totally skewed by leaving out the basic info–the scores and their implications for the six NEW high schools that are in trouble. It was c;ear;y controlled by SB. What does he owe KR???

• 2 AbG // Sep 23, 2010 at 9:00 am

Eyesores in Crescent Hill? If that’s the case, then we might as well raze the Highlands.

• 3 Paul Jason Puckett // Sep 23, 2010 at 9:55 am

At least Louisville is legitimately No. 16 in something…

• 4 citizen // Sep 23, 2010 at 9:57 am

I agree blowin’. There is a new website that has tons of info though: http://www.openhouse.education.ky.gov

• 5 citizen // Sep 23, 2010 at 10:00 am

I agree blowin’. There is a new website with tons of info though. Go to the KDE website, click on the link for the press announcement about the scores, then at the bottom is the link to the new website. I would list here, but it makes my comment go into moderation and may never see the light of day.

• 6 blowin' in the wind // Sep 23, 2010 at 10:23 am

thanks, citizen. i have already started to print info by school. It might also interest you to know that the state is pulling some tricks in the way they are sending out info–averaging reading and math scores, which is a BIG no-no in the statistics world. There seems to be more monkey business going on in this regard at KDE. I am working on some analysis that I willl email to Jake when I have it finished. JCPS plans to blame the test when four years of data clearly shows a major decline in the very areas SB is so proud of–social studies and math. The one area of improvment is in elementary and middle school reading, which I would attribute to Every 1 Reads–which SB has done away with and sidelined the person who headed it. firget about any kind of ethics at the top levels of JCPS.

• 7 blowin' in the wind // Sep 23, 2010 at 10:25 am

Sorry about spelling–my mind is going faster than my fingers.

• 8 A Gay Democrat // Sep 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Also in the Phillip M. Bailey article:

“In a surprise move, four members of the Metro Council are breaking with their parties to endorse write-in candidate Ken Herndon in a special election for the 6th District seat. In a joint statement, Council President Tom Owen, D-8, along with council members Jon Ackerson, R-18, Rick Blackwell, D-12, and Tina Ward-Pugh, D-9, said Herndon’s commitment to the district has prepared him to lead.”

This is very good news indeed.

• 9 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 1:56 pm

“Very good news” in what way?

One is Ken’s attorney and the rest he’s been close to a long time. I see nothing to make me believe any of those people are speaking objectively. And I’d love for them to prove it.

That said – Ken Herndon doesn’t even have the support of the local Democratic Party and Fairness is sitting on its hands. Because he doesn’t have what it takes.

• 10 jtomm // Sep 23, 2010 at 2:12 pm

What’s Up with All the Teacher Bashing?

• 11 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Someone posting from a Jefferson County Public Schools computer? Surely not!

I fail to see any teacher bashing.

Since when is constructive criticism of bad teachers a reflection on good teachers?

• 12 CrescentHillion // Sep 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I’ve always advocated divorcing the area in question above from Crescent Hill and renaming it Crescent Holler.

• 13 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm

The only thing good about that portion of the neighborhood is Tony BoomBozz. And maybe the beer and smoked pig, for the meat eaters in the bunch.

I think some enterprising business should immediately move forward with erecting a tower in that area so they can pocket the rent. DO IT.

• 14 CrescentHillion // Sep 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I really like Tina, but I hope she doesn’t try to pay to keep it away like she did with the McDonald’s roof on Brownsboro.

• 15 Steve Magruder // Sep 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Four members of the Metro Council endorsing Herndon, whether objective or not, is still pretty powerful, simply due to their positions, as well as the political risks they may be taking.

• 16 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Zero political risk.

• 17 Steve Magruder // Sep 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm

So the same Democratic Party that’s been going after two of David James’ opponents is full of glee with its members openly supporting Herndon?

• 18 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Yup.

If you hadn’t noticed, Tina, Tom and the others aren’t really involved in local Party activity (or state Party, for that matter) at all.

And they’re politically safe in their respective districts to do literally anything they want.

• 19 blowin' in the wind // Sep 23, 2010 at 3:48 pm

If jtomm has been reading this blog, there has been no teacher bashing; berman and board bashing, yes. Most of us who blog regarding education support teachers; what we don’t support is the mess at the administrative level and its fall out on the schools.

• 20 jtomm // Sep 23, 2010 at 4:45 pm

the “teacher bashing” is the name of the editorial that i linked. i strongly suggest you guys reading it. my school, a good school, is about to be gutted because of out-of-context, myopic testing. bad times indeed

• 21 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I’m not worried about the link you tried to post about ten times today from your taxpayer-funded computer.

It’s an attempt to spin.

• 22 blowin' in the wind // Sep 23, 2010 at 4:59 pm

jtomm, I realize that some of the schools are going to be unfairly treated as some were last year. The problem is at the state level and with the policy makers at JCPS. Until we all take responsibility to get the legislature (state and federal) out of interfering with education practice and get a state department of education that knows what its doing, kids and teachers will continue to suffer. I sympathize with your anguish, and while there is a great deal of teacher bashing going on in the country, the biggest problem with the situation you face is that we have a totally incompetent KDE. It’s about time people in Louisville took their two reps on the state board to task for this: David Karem and Mary Gwen Wheeler.

• 23 ExCresentHillbilly // Sep 23, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Guess I don’t blame the stepchildren of Crescent Hill for not wanting the cell tower, and the Village Manor Property does bring down the neighborhood, but they can’t fight this one any more than any other battle in the past. That end of Crescent Hill always got the short end of the stick : land-locked streets that weren’t made to code by the city, a railroad crossing taken away to have a quiet zone for the rest of the area increasing safety concerns, large lovely trees torn down for Water Company projects, and the list goes on…glad I left Crescent Hill, both pretentious and common areas of it!

• 24 jtomm // Sep 23, 2010 at 5:57 pm

really jake? hostile much today? did i say something to anger you? sorry to intrude.

• 25 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 5:59 pm

How is

It’s an attempt to spin.

hostile?

• 26 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Ahh… the bit about you spamming the link over and over from work while I pay your salary with my tax dollars.

My point: you work for JCPS, an organization that shouldn’t be focused on protecting bad teachers. Not with my money. Not while so many students are suffering at the hands of bad teachers and even worse administrators.

Oust the bad teachers, cut the waste, educate our students equally at EVERY school in the district and then get back to me.

Until then, no spin from ANYONE at JCPS is welcome.

• 27 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 6:01 pm

(And saying “bad teachers” doesn’t mean all are bad. Most aren’t remotely bad.)

• 28 jtomm // Sep 23, 2010 at 6:07 pm

i simply was posting what i considered a relevant article (attempted to post it 2x btw. the second only b/c i thought the first didn’t go through for w/e reason).

not sure why you would be “worried,” exaggerate the number of times i attempted to post it, incorrectly assume that it was from a “taxpayer-funded computer,” or label a legitimate p.o.v. as “spin.” but, that’s cool. this is your show. i just read occasionally.

• 29 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm

In addition to the time on this post your link was published, our system indicates it was left an addition 11 times. Either directly by you or inadvertently by you/your end. It’s why the comments got moderated.

Your IP address: JCPS. That’s taxpayer funded.

That “point of view” is one-sided and that’s why I think it’s spin. Suggesting there’s some blanket attack on teachers is ridiculous.

• 30 jtomm // Sep 23, 2010 at 6:21 pm

11?wow. not sure how that happened, but def not by my hand.

i think the article is pointing out that teachers are an easy target in a very complicated issue/problem and that much of this policy is an attempt to privatize education much like prisons, the military, etc. education for profit is pretty scary.

not trying to spin, just provide an alternate p.o.v. (and not 11 times). and as far as taxpayer funded ip address, so what? i’ll wait until i get home next time, cool?

coincidentally, i live kinda sorta in that area of crescent hill. love the neighborhood. that corner isn’t the most aesthetically pleasing and i have no problem with a tower going there. maybe it will help my signal

• 31 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 6:27 pm

You’re 100% correct that teachers get lost in a complex, murky issue. And I think that’s because the average Joe doesn’t take the time to realize that there are more good teachers than bad. But the bad ones have tremendous power – especially when it comes to unions (which are not bad – so no one get their panties in a twist) shuffling them around.

• 32 jtomm // Sep 23, 2010 at 6:54 pm

i agree that there are bad teachers. i also agree there are bad doctors, policemen, journalists, etc. we all had ineffective teacher growing up. its part of the deal. i dont want them there any more than anyone else (maybe more so). they give my profession a bad name, and i, in my particular case, often have to waste my time cleaning up their messes.

the rub is how do you weed them out. its not as simple as merit pay, testing results, breaking unions, shuffling staffs, etc. and who is to determine who is effective and who isnt? an administrator? good and bad ones of them as well. tests and laws initiated by politicians and graded by college students in an assembly line format?

everyone is accountable except the students. what motivation does a kid have to do well on a test that means nothing to them? that they are being bribed and bludgeoned to death to do well on? that is a representation of the authority they are programmed as teens to rebel against (sometimes justifiably so)?

its a tough situation with no easy answers….no spin here.

peace

• 33 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 6:57 pm

You weed them out by not protecting them with tenure and lifetime jobs. That’s how. Has nothing to do with union busting. But unions DO have to give a little. We all have to give a little.

And bad doctors don’t spend eight hours a day with our kids.

• 34 jtomm // Sep 23, 2010 at 7:05 pm

your black and white world sounds great. i’d love to visit sometime. until then…

• 35 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Suggesting that EVERYONE has to give in order to find a solution is black & white?

Interesting that someone at JCPS would think that.

• 36 jtomm // Sep 23, 2010 at 7:27 pm

email me. i’d be happy to show you what i do and how i do it. you know, put a little context to what we are discussing.

• 37 JTT // Sep 23, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I don’t remember much about stats, I can only work with anecdotal evidence. I have dealings with a lot of under-25s, smart kids, who can’t spell, can’t write a simple sentence, can’t do basic math. They are bright and verbal, but their foundational skills are sorely deficient. In talking to them, they tell me no one every complained about their communication skills. They don’t know basic history AT ALL – I’ve yet to find one under the age of 30 that knows that the Star Spangled Banner was written during the war of 1812, for example. Maybe that factoid isn’t important in the greater scheme of things but not understanding history means well, that they are doomed to repeat it.

• 38 jake // Sep 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm

You sure you don’t mean folks under 20?

I think the serious divide starts with that group.

• 39 JTT // Sep 24, 2010 at 9:47 am

I don’t deal with anyone under 21 in that context so I can’t speak to it. Most of the folks I deal with are between 21-30, some older. The folks over about 35 can actually write decent sentences and spell.