Spotted At The JCPS Tax Hike Meeting

August 24th, 2010 by jake · 25 Comments

Guess who was at the school board tax hike hearing last night:

Brave Patriot Marilyn Parker, the woman I was set to gay marry! By a Muslin. For fun.

Guess she got Dr. Frank’s urgent email blast. She had a fancy paper in-hand attacking “liberal educators” that indoctrinate our children with anti-God rhetoric.

Oh, wait! There’s audio of Marilyn’s rant:

You get that? The liberals caused the housing collapse. And we’re supposed to feel sorry for her and her gigantic East End home built by illegal immigrants.

The blacks! The ghetto! John Yarmuth! Socialism! Libruls! OH GOD THE LIBRULS! Socialist agenda! Busing! She cared so much about what she was spewing that she left a few minutes after her rant.

It’s a shame that socialism, otherwise known as Medicare and Medicaid, help pay her nursing salary.

What’s sad is that she had a few good points… but it all got lost in the crazy. My favorite part was the end when all the teabaggers went batshiz cheering for her. Wonder if any of Doug Hawkins’ drunken supporters were there in the crowd? Chris Thieneman certainly was, along with his faux-journalist pal who lives rent-free in one of his apartments in exchange for positive press.

The woman is a real piece of work.

Tags: Chris Thieneman · Education · Hype · JCPS · Taxes

• 1 Steve Magruder // Aug 24, 2010 at 10:16 am

Does anyone know if Parker actually has children in the public school system?

I’m going to post about this LouHI shortly. I think I have just about HAD IT with the trashing of our teachers. The defense begins.

• 2 Steve Magruder // Aug 24, 2010 at 10:16 am

about this _on_ LouHI… geez…

• 3 Gordon // Aug 24, 2010 at 11:08 am

Aside from the name calling, she is pretty much spot on from what I know. I don’t think the teachers are to blame, it’s the out of town superintendent who has the buck on his desk.

• 4 Steve Magruder // Aug 24, 2010 at 11:17 am

I’m sorry, but whenever someone uses the word “indoctrination” with regards to public schools (what these silly folk refer to as “government schools”), this is automatically unhinged speech that cannot be trusted due to its indoctrinated bias.

• 5 Talkfan // Aug 24, 2010 at 11:22 am

“…she had a few good points…”

Like what?

• 6 jake // Aug 24, 2010 at 11:51 am

Particularly the bits about taxes increases at times like this and the housing collapse. Though, the housing collapse had nothing to do with godless libruls. And the tax increase isn’t the fault of libruls, but the fault of a few wealthy families in Louisville.

• 7 Steve Magruder // Aug 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Students learn less when they receive less attention, and students receive less attention when the class size is larger, and the class size is larger when you have to lay off teachers, and you have to lay off teachers when incoming revenue isn’t of the size to pay retention-mindful salaries.

• 8 Novena // Aug 24, 2010 at 12:39 pm

“Nurse Marilyn, Heal Thyself”

She wants students to accept her own brand of dogma, as uncritically as possible. Her rant on “socialism” in itself shows how non-rational and miseducative she is. I hope Marilyn is not a psychiatric nurse.

• 9 Jake Supporter // Aug 24, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I am as Right as they come and as conservative as a white shirt and black tie at a rock concert but this lady is way out of bounds. I am one of the overpaid, over-benefited, lazy folks she is talking about. I wonder where she got the 8-9 months. Is this from a nurse that works 36 hours and is paid for 40? Just a thought and maybe she should have budgeted better to be able to live comfortable off of less. I still live on the same amount that Imade 5 years ago and the excess goes to retirement and my future. I have take responsiblity for mine and I am not waiting for the government to bail me out or let me retire. I have earned what I received and will not apologize for that. I have 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of graduate work and I expect to be paid what I earn. Crazy nurse should just go a little further in debt and pull her kids for private education. Crazy lady doesn’t realize that most of the increase will go to the kids and not salary increases. You can lay teachers off, decrease benefits, and change the retirement age and packages but all you will do is drive good educators out of the system where they will be competing and probably obtaining your jobs. We will replace the crazy nurses of the world because we can. One time we actually agree Jake.

• 10 Steve Magruder // Aug 24, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I know teachers, and I know their job is HARD (the stories will make your skin crawl), and so I’m happy they get the summers off, to avoid BURNOUT (and this is upper-cased because burnout amongst teachers is real, and it needs to be appreciated by all the bums attacking teachers).

• 11 Talkfan // Aug 24, 2010 at 1:22 pm

“…most of the increase will go to the kids…”

How, specifically?

“You can lay teachers off, decrease benefits, and change the retirement age and packages but all you will do is drive good educators out of the system…”

Even so, cuts have to be made, whatever the consequences. Teachers aren’t exempt, I’m afraid. They’re not above it all. If the money ain’t there, it ain’t there, for teachers or any other taxpayer-funded endeavor.

“…where they will be competing and probably obtaining your jobs….”

This delusional threat crops up from time to time, but I’ve never personally seen it carried out in the real world. Most teachers are either too dedicated to leave, or, despite their bluster, suspect (often rightly) they couldn’t hack it in the private sector. Maybe this threat has actually been carried out a time or two, but…c’mon, who’d want to give up summers off? Helluva perk and unheard of outside the world of education.

• 12 blowin' in the wind // Aug 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Let’s not get away from the real problem: s superintendent unqualified to lead a large district and so wrapped up in himself that he can see no one else combined with a board filled with spineless characters who haven’t the sense or the courage to change the situation.

• 13 Steve Magruder // Aug 24, 2010 at 1:50 pm

“Most teachers are either too dedicated to leave, or, despite their bluster, suspect (often rightly) they couldn’t hack it in the private sector. Maybe this threat has actually been carried out a time or two, but…c’mon, who’d want to give up summers off? Helluva perk and unheard of outside the world of education.”

Talkfan, what about teachers in what you could call the private sector who teach at non-public schools? They also get summers off.

Again, summers off isn’t a “perk”, it’s something that is absolutely necessary to prevent burnout, and not just amongst teachers, but students as well.

I would ask everyone who thinks a teacher’s job is no more difficult than their own to actually get to know a few teachers, public school or not. Really get to know them and all the things they have to accomplish and put up with. Then, let’s see what your opinion is.

• 14 The Highlander // Aug 24, 2010 at 2:02 pm

It’s not only Berman and the Board, it’s the leadership of this city/community. It’s become ‘top down’ around here. There’s absolutely no ‘bottom up’ ferment. Oh, there are a few here and there who shout in a ‘small’ uncrowded theater, but the inventive leadership has evaporated. In 1992 the U.S. Supreme Court declared it was no longer necessary to bus, ONCE the de jure segregation was removed. In 2000, Judge Heyburn ruled that de jure segregation was removed. The 1992 US Supreme Court also said that de facto segregation caused by anything other than de jure acts of state legislatures did not require correction by busing. So, LONG BEFORE Berman and the present Board, we continued busing, because no one wants to stand up to a Kentucky newspaper for fear of being branded as a racist. Hell, Jerrie A. and GLI even filed a brief in Teddy Gordon’s Supreme Court case AGAINST TEDDY. We have a primarily lazy city, here, that isn’t willing to organize and demand better than a school system that (by testing scores) ranks 118th in Kentucky out of 154 Kentucky school districts. Sad, but true.

• 15 Jake Supporter // Aug 24, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Talkfan – you have a few points but I disagree with them all because I have personally busted them all. Most of the increase will go to increasing technology, decreasing class size, and buying new instructional materials. Very little of the tax goes to paying teachers. My salary is totally funded by the Federal Government so this new property tax won’t pay a dime of my salary. You would be surprised at how many teachers fall into this category. I understand budgets. I am still teaching tech classes with 6 year old pcs and software and roughly have 100 out of 150 kids each year receive college credit for my class. I spend thousands of dollars out of my own pocket each year to provide for other people and their kids. I agree about budgets. I run my classroom like my house. If the money isn’t there I don’t order the goods but we shouldn’t have to educate young people to compete with outdated equipment or resources and then hear you complain because they aren’t prepared enough. I also disagree with your corporate statement. I worked for 7 years in the private world and was promoted each year. I left because I choose to teach and wanted to make a difference. Most teachers are qualified to do other things and we do have some that couldn’t and shouldn’t be teaching. Every profession has its boat anchors and teaching is no different.
    Steve – you better quit making such good statements because I find myself agreeing with you on most of them. I thought we were like oil and water after the “you know who” incident. I thought Bulldog and UL grads always stuck together?

• 16 Steve Magruder // Aug 24, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Yes, but demanding an “end to desegregation busing” is not going to fix the problems, in my judgment.

First of all, you can’t end busing, as most “neighborhood schools” aren’t walkable for a good deal of their student populations, especially the very young ones. We have built up a lot of large schools in Jefferson County, and if you want “neighborhood schools”, we’re going to have to build a lot of new, smaller ones, and if you think the recent tax increase is bad, wait til you see the new bill to pay for all these new facilities.

Second, the real problem in education isn’t the few bad apples amongst teachers (most of whom work their tails off to educate the kids), but the sizable segment of parents who don’t give a sh– about their kids’ progress. And if you’ve ever been in a classroom, you *know* it’s those kids who disrupt and take away valuable instruction time away from the well-mannered, ready-to-learn kids.

• 17 Talkfan // Aug 24, 2010 at 2:15 pm

“Talkfan, what about teachers in what you could call the private sector who teach at non-public schools? They also get summers off….”

What about private school teachers? They’re paid with private, voluntary dollars, not with tax dollars and they’re not raising my property taxes to maintain their benefit packages.

“Again, summers off isn’t a “perk”, it’s something that is absolutely necessary to prevent burnout, and not just amongst teachers, but students as well….”

Of course it’s a perk, one of the purest examples of a perk imaginable (even if one accepts your “burnout” justification for it, which I’m not sure I do). Most people in most professions are subject to “burnout,” Steve; none of them that I know of get three months off a year, except teachers. Perhaps teachers should get the same two or three weeks off everybody else does (or zero weeks, like most small businessmen and entrepreneurs) and spend the rest of the summer mowing grass, clearing litter, etc., from parks or school grounds, or perhaps coming to school every day 9-5 during the summer to work on professional skills and prepare in a formal way for the upcoming school year.

• 18 Steve Magruder // Aug 24, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Talkfan, your first response was an evasion. I understand this occurs when you realize you’ve lost the point, badly.

As for the second one, again, talk to some teachers, and learn about their high degree of burnout, which really does not compare to “burnout” one gets working in a comparatively cushy office suite.

• 19 Talkfan // Aug 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm

And if a teacher having to show up every day for 12 months rather than 9 would cause “burnout,” maybe he/she’s in the wrong profession, and should go “replace the crazy nurses of the world because we can.”

Pointing out these obvious realities, and the economic realities of our time, is not an attack on teachers, Steve. That you fall back on that platitude is telling.

Fair or not (and I believe it’s eminently fair), when taxpayers pay your salary, taxpayer complaints come with the territory.

• 20 The Highlander // Aug 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Magruder: Think. No question that buses might be needed in a neighborhood school environment, but not near as many and not near as costly. $70 million, annually, in busing expenses (at a minimum [because counting everything, it's probably 50% more]) you could fund a huge bond issue that could easily fund whatever school buildings were required to get rid of this gigantic transportation failure. You could get rid of older school bldgs and do a lot of forward-looking things if we weren’t tied to a 1950′s idea of student transportation. My God this is the 21st century and good old Kentucky is handling the school issue like it did 75 years ago.

• 21 Talkfan // Aug 24, 2010 at 2:34 pm

“comparatively cushy office suite”

Now who’s dealing in stereotypes? I don’t work in one, btw. Maybe you do.

How about “crazy nurses” that work in emergency rooms, for example. Bet the burnout rate is pretty high there. Do they get three months off every year?

As for my “evasion,” are you referring to my point about private school teachers? How is that an evasion? Three months off is also a perk for them, if that’s the admission you’re trying to extract from me. But it’s not a taxpayer-funded perk. It’s a privately-funded perk. That’s the difference.

• 22 Steve Magruder // Aug 25, 2010 at 9:24 am

Talkfan, your point about private school teachers was tangential, and also an empty assertion that somehow, those teachers are “better” than public school teachers.

Talkfan, again, I don’t think you have a clue about what teachers go through. Not one clue.

• 23 Steve Magruder // Aug 25, 2010 at 9:28 am

Highlander: Buses would absolutely be required in a “neighborhood school” approach, and when you float bonds to build new schools, and we would need a lot of them to make them all walkable, bonds don’t make the costs go away, and the costs would be ginormous.

So I hope you will _think_ about the trade-offs. There is no rosy scenario.

• 24 Linda // Aug 25, 2010 at 6:19 pm

As a public employee (not a teacher or JCPS employee, so hold the tomatoes), I have to rebut Marilyn’s assertion that public employees are better compensated than their private contemporaries. That’s sheer unadulterated balderdash. I have 10 years experience in a highly specialized professional field and just broke the $50K mark. I could make four times that in the private sector. I consider part of my compensation the fact that I am allowed to use my talents in service to others, which provides great job satisfaction. How many people does Marilyn know with a bachelor’s and a master’s who makes less than $50K? If she knows any, they are teachers. Nice point, Jake, that she gets paid from taxpayer dollars through Medicare/Medicaid.

• 25 Wow // May 23, 2012 at 9:12 am

I like how Marilyn Parker knows what “the African Americans” want at the 2:15 mark. How many African Americans has she spoken with?