Why The Telemarketing Calls For HullabaLOU?

June 16th, 2010 by jake · 10 Comments

Is the HullabaLOU Music Festival really as big of a deal as Churchill Downs is making it out to be?

Churchill spokespeople have been all over the place proclaiming ticket sales as strong:

“So far, ticket sales have occurred in 47 states and that’s not one or two tickets in each state, that’s hundreds in all states with the exception of North Dakota, we’ve sold three and Hawaii we’ve sold two,” says Churchill Downs Entertainment President Steve Sexton.

I’m left wondering if ticket sales are as strong as CD is making them out to be. Especially after receiving tips about telemarketing calls on Monday night asking about the festival. Questions about whether or not the individual planned on attending the event, if they’d purchased tickets, if they hadn’t, why? and then the standard age/race/income questions.

No one would spend the massive amount of cash to conduct a telephone survey unless advance sales were in the toilet. Folks I know at Churchill get tight-lipped and nervous when I ask questions and that’s never happened before.

Are event promoters beginning to panic?

What are your thoughts? Surely there’s a common sense explanation for all this.

UPDATE: Another reader says they received a robocall from a company called Overnight Research on Saturday. Says the tipster, “Wanted to basically know if we had heard of the event and where, no sales portion to the call at all. The questions were very “thin,” and would produce only minimal useful marketing information.”

Hrm.

Tags: Churchill Downs · Festival · Music

• 1 Steve Magruder // Jun 16, 2010 at 10:38 am

I would guess that the young people who go to music concerts want to see what’s new (or close to new), and that’s at Forecastle. It also doesn’t help HullabaLOU that it takes place in the same month as Forecastle, and people without the means to go to both may choose to go to the much more established festival, Forecastle.

• 2 Jtt // Jun 16, 2010 at 1:25 pm

But there are others who don’t want to spend that much money (135 for standard 3-day pass for Forecastle) for bands they have never heard of versus a little more (160 for standard 3-day pass for Hullabalou) for bands/performers they have heard of …. Not to mention better availability of parking and probably better security at the latter.

I suspect that they will both have plenty of guests, although I’m sure the latter will affect the attendance of the former. I’m just amazed kids have that much money!

• 3 ... // Jun 16, 2010 at 1:47 pm

@Jtt

A three day pass at forecastle is $150. At Hullabalou it’s $270.

• 4 Steve Magruder // Jun 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Jtt, HullabaLOU’s bands are bands you’ve heard of if you’re in your middle ages or older, for the most part. The youth who are following music want to find out who the newest, leading-edge acts are, and they are mostly at Forecastle.

• 5 Jeff // Jun 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Seems to me that the ticket prices are a little steep. Has anyone checked out these prices?? And what about the heat in July at the track?

• 6 KYGuy // Jun 16, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Steve,
    You need to check out the iPod of both “the youth who are following music” and also that of the “middle ages or older.” You’d be very surprised. WFPK and shows like World Cafe are good examples of those who know that good music is ageless. It’s really OK to hear the Beach Boys next to Kings Of Leon. You can’t love music and blow-off as old hat some of the best artists in music. Listen to interviews with the cutting-edge bands and they’ll often tell you how some of these geezers influence their music. Not to mention how the retro sound of the 50′s and 60′s is hot with the indie crowd right now. It’s being borrowed by many groups. For example “She And Him” (appearing at Forecastle.) I get your point that the two fests are programmed for different crowds. But you’re simply wrong if you pigeon-hole musical taste by age. I think it’s great that there are two events. More music! Bring it on!

• 7 Steve Magruder // Jun 16, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I am not pigeon-holing musical taste by age. I know there is cross-interest, as I am 43 and sometimes like a new group, and people in their 20s listen to the Beatles.

What I was referring to was the idea expressed by Jtt that nobody has heard of the groups performing at Forecastle. And I’m thinking, yeah, if you’re in your 40s/50s and stuck in your tastes developed in the 1960s/1970s/1980s, you may not know these new groups, like many younger people will.

• 8 Crutnacker // Jun 16, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I love the idea of Hullabalou, but I do think it has the following flaws:

1) Headliners are not must see bands for most people. The Police and Rolling Stones were both events. Bon Jovi, Kenny Chesney, and DMB don’t have the broad appeal, nor is any of them necessarily a special concert.

2) The undercard has too much “free concert at the State Fair” feel to it.

3) Us old farts don’t have three days to devote to a concert out in the heat. Let’s face it, most of these bands skew toward the 35 and over crowd, and after one full day in the nasty July heat, we need a rest.

4) The balance of acts doesn’t lend itself to choosing a day. Why not bundle all 70′s classic rock bands on a day? All soul acts on another? The variety is nice I suppose, but seeing six classic rock acts might be more appealing to most than a mixture of styles and genres.

5) The price is probably not bad, but it still seems expensive.

• 9 pds // Jun 17, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I’m not going because once your in for the day you have to stay. I don’t understand why CD won’t let you come as go.

• 10 KYGuy // Jun 17, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Steve. I get your point. :-)
    Just a sore point with me about young vs old. I’m older than you and I love indie and alternative. There’s so much GREAT new music out there. There’s also a lot of crap. Some of that crap will be heard at Forecastle. Some older crap will be at Hullabalou. But between those low spots some awesome sound will be made. What a treat.