Local TeeVee News People Rumor Fun

March 19th, 2010 by jake · 16 Comments

Okay, so it’s not a rumor. But it was until I confirmed it. AKA, sometimes it’s tough work changing your headline.

What’s that sound?

Why, none other than Carrie Weil leaving WAVE3 to take a job as anchor at FOX66 & CBS TV 5 in Flint/Saginaw/Bay City, Michigan.

WEIL WITH MAYOR McCHEESE WITH SOME STUFF

I spoke with Carrie earlier today and she confirmed that she’ll be anchoring the 4:00 and 5:30 newscasts on CBS WNEM TV5 and 10:00 P.M. show on FOX. While excited, she humorously expressed anxiety about discovering this thing non-newsies commonly refer to as eight hours of sleep per night.

Weil’s last day at WAVE3, where she’s been on Sunrise since 2002, will be the 31st and she’ll appear on the airwaves in Michigan on the 7th. Her husband Doug, a chiropractor, is from Bay City so they won’t be strangers to the area. And while she’ll miss Louisville, Carrie says her new teevee world’s got a great product and she’s looking forward to the new challenge of different newscasts.

Carrie’s always been one of my morning favorites and we definitely wish her the best!

Tags: Anchor · Media · Rumors · TV · WAVE

• 1 GtownReader // Mar 19, 2010 at 12:48 pm

So WAVE Sunrise is getting a WHOLE NEW LOOK.
    Brrrrrr. Hope Weil knows that it is VERY COLD & ICY up there. Also as inbred as Kentucky – actually, maybe more so.
    Hope this geographic separation will be particularly soothing to Kevin. He has really matured nicely in his forecasting & media presence.
    –Thought station anchor personality/identification was meaningful in establishing a station’s appeal to viewers. But maybe not so much up there.

• 2 Not Chris Parente // Mar 19, 2010 at 12:59 pm

How about going after Kelsey Starks? She has the same cute look and seem more relaxed than Carrie has ever been.

• 3 jake // Mar 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm

“Cute look” ??

Let’s keep the superficial out of it, maybe?

Unless we’re talking about bags of dicks– because that’s what I am, according to a reader who sent a glorious email to Page One yesterday.

• 4 BaileyMorgan // Mar 19, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Carrie has been so good and the area loves her. I sure hope she can adapt to that North/Michigan lifestyle after being here in the sunny South.

As to WAVE, with Derby and Oaks coverage coming up, maybe the heads there ought to look at Abby Miller, formerly of WLKY. She was the best at the station, and at Derby when she did the part behind the Downs at the stables early in the morning, she was super. As much as people will miss Carrie, Abby would be a familiar face and of course is a Louisville native, if I remember right. She’s be perfect!

• 5 Talkfan // Mar 19, 2010 at 3:44 pm

“Let’s keep the superficial out of it, maybe?”

Out of local TV news? Good luck.

• 6 jake // Mar 19, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Just out of the comments. And just for today, at least.

I’m nearly brain-numb after dealing with these damn mayoral candidates all week!

• 7 willy // Mar 19, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Good luck to Carrie with the move.

Please no Abby Miller. Not a fan of the Abster

I would prefer Kevin to take over the spot. Seems he had some experience in this area a few years ago before the Carrie divorce.

Even Jennifer (Bayles?) would be nice to wake up to but she may be under contract with Fox.

• 8 Caesar // Mar 19, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Agree with Willy. Abby was fired for a reason. Bayles would be a good replacement.

• 9 GtownReader // Mar 19, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Remember the professionalism of Melissa Forsythe? I think she was the one who claimed she was fired because her “superficial” wasn’t cute enough.

• 10 GtownReader // Mar 19, 2010 at 11:24 pm

BTW, I think Heather French Henry is easy on the ears & easy on the eyes, and can relate well – and intelligently – with people of all walks (as does Rachel Platt). Too bad she’s picked up unfavorable baggage since her morning TV news days…

• 11 radioman // Mar 20, 2010 at 12:32 am

Henry is a big time train wreck. Hit a person on a bike then does radio spots for a.a.a. Crazy world.

• 12 legal eagle... // Mar 20, 2010 at 9:46 am

Too funny. Abby wasn’t fired. She quit. And for good reason. Too bad too. But I think she moved. I’d like to see someone from out of town come in.

• 13 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Mar 20, 2010 at 10:05 am

Is Carrie’s mother going to follow her up the Michigan? I was hoping to get a few thousand fewer fliers in my mailbox and flags stuck in my front yard.

I wish her well and she does a professional job.

• 14 Molly // Apr 2, 2010 at 11:22 am

Mark H (not Hebert)

If you pop me an email I can get your name removed from her mailing list. I have worked with Dee for years and I am sure she would be happy to honor your request.

• 15 Molly // Apr 2, 2010 at 11:26 am

oops, can’t emal me through that other link…but you can on this one.

Sorry.

• 16 Chris // Apr 19, 2010 at 1:03 pm

While Carrie may be eye-candy and an adequate reporter, the fact is, the crap that happened between her and Kevin Harned pretty much left a very bad taste in my mouth. If I didn’t know better, I’d say she married Kevin for a career bump – especially considering her liasions with her Olympic-wanna-be fallback choice was the cause of the marriage failure.

So, good bye Carrie. Michigan is where you go when your career stalls and the weather is the predominant story every night. Good luck with that and your bone-crackin hubby.