Courier-Journal Has No Web Editor?

January 6th, 2010 by jake · 9 Comments

Maybe?

Because stuff like this keeps happening?

You’d think the fancy paper was but a dinky little internets website like this one or something.

Before you jump me: Every time I have a typo, four or five C-J employees are emailing and calling like crazy to attack.

Tags: Courier-Journal · Newspaper

• 1 John // Jan 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I don’t mind these kind of things at all–obvious typos where fingers just didn’t hit the keys in right order. What I hate are obvious misspellings–esp. on those damn crawls on local newscasts. I find the crawls themselves annoying, and spelling the words wrong just adds insult to injury.

• 2 jake // Jan 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm

The best crawl typos involve “pubic” instead of “public” – in my opinion.

• 3 Roger // Jan 6, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I’m sure there’s a joke about a lot of the best of most things involving “pubic” – but I wouldn’t know what that joke would be.

• 4 Larry West // Jan 6, 2010 at 9:16 pm

What bugs me are the typos in some of the “classified ads” mentioned on the “Headlines” segment of the Jay Leno show. It is obvious that the problem is on most of these is that the ad was called in, and the person taking the ad knew nothing about the subject being mentioned. Why don’t these people verify the spelling?

I still remember a speech at college freshman orientation where the speaker stated that if you want to appear intelligent, know how to spell “separate.” You can remember it by the phrase “See Pa rate with the woman next door.” Then he said “there, that’s worth a year’s tuition costs.” — My college did not charge tuition at the time!

• 5 Crutnacker // Jan 6, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I like the spelling errors on Tea Bagger signs. Especially the racist who couldn’t spell the N word.

• 6 Bo Water // Jan 7, 2010 at 8:49 am

It is yet another fine example of how you do more work with fewer people and buy the Gannett lie that it doesn’t impact the product. Great work from John Mura’s department.

• 7 jake // Jan 7, 2010 at 9:03 am

In defense of the C-J… I hear most everybody there is now doing three times the work they were doing a year ago. Gannett has apparently pushed the work of multiple papers on the folks at Broadway.

• 8 Judith T. // Jan 7, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Yes, that’s correct Jake. They are now copy editing and designing two other papers there. So, these silly errors aren’t totally unexpected. Too bad, though. But you’re right. I don’t think they DO have a web editor.

• 9 Bo Water // Jan 8, 2010 at 10:20 am

Working smarter; doing more with less; the Emperor’s New Clothes.