Monday Morning Dept. of Meatball Express

September 21st, 2009 by admin · 18 Comments

So the Cats beat the Cards in an entertaining game in Lexington by a 31-27 count, so now we can move on to the Jan. 2 basketball game between the two schools. The notable part of the broadcast, other than the no-name announce team of Clay Matvick and David Diaz-Infante, was the excess of brownie and meatball-making commercial spots.

Seriously, did anyone out there just give up and order one of those magic brownie serving thingies that aired about a dozen times? Or did you throw up seeing all that raw hamburger rolling around in that plastic contraption? It’s a shame for local advertisers, many of whom would have jumped at the chance to buy time in the highly-rated sporting event.

When the game is controlled by ESPN, however, with no local station involved, the majority of the spots are controlled by the big network. And that means very limited opportunities for local spots in the broadcast.

As for the game broadcast, it’s almost like the four-letter network goes out of its way to remove any local flavor from the game broadcast. No sideline interviews and no guests in the broadcast booth.

You can watch Coach Steve Kragthorpe’s press conference on the C-J website today at 1:30.

So on to the week ahead, which includes…

The Idea Festival starts tomorrow with the Main Course, in which a formal dining table set for 200 is set up on Main Street in front of the Humana Building. Of course, it’s $175. There’s a chance of rain.

Mystery Man: No one who attended the Gaslight Festival in Jeffersontown over the weekend saw Mayor Clay Foreman on the grounds. Which is like Jerry Abramson skipping the Derby.  And Foreman is supposedly running for re-election. Here’s the way the non-partisan race works there – if there are at least three candidates, all run in the primary, with the top two surviving to the November election.

There was a big Hal Heiner presence at Gaslight.

Tags: IF 08 · Jeffersontown · Mayor's Race 2010 · Metro Council · Sports · University of Kentucky · University of Louisville

• 1 cdxx // Sep 21, 2009 at 9:10 am

“no guests in the broadcast booth.”

You mean besides Coach Calipari?

• 2 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Sep 21, 2009 at 9:26 am

Finally!!!

My long grueling days of laboriously toiling in the kitchen trying to make enough meatballs to satisfy the ravenous hordes are over.

The nightmare is over, and many of us afflicted with Meat Ball Syndrome (MBS) take offense Rick at your attitude towards a product that will unshackle many of us from the chains of meatball oppression.

That said, the brownie tray is a ridiculous product. Come on, is cutting brownies that difficult? It’s not like making meatballs. besides, what keeps the batter from leaking out from around the bottom plate of pan?

• 3 Carter Burger // Sep 21, 2009 at 10:41 am

I think the ESPN networks stick all the cheesy mail order spots on the U. You don’t see those ads on ESPN or the Deuce. The production value of the game was questionable at best. Almost like it was an afterthought to broadcast the game in the first place.

As far as the mail order products like that go, all I can say is caveat emptor.

• 4 willy // Sep 21, 2009 at 11:15 am

I got so sick of the commericials I called and tried to order the meatball maker and brownie cutter . It is all automated so I never could talk to a real person. I had a few frosties and ordered everything they could throw at me. Four of this, four of that and they even threw in some so free stuff – but wait there’s more! They even had some special brownie batter- ordered it also. I was on the phone for about 5-10 minutes and kept hitting zero to get someone to pick up so I could give them some shit about all the commericials and there crappy products. I thought for sure I would get an off coast heavy accented order taker. In the end they gave me an address to send my check to. Delivery 4-6 weeks. Turns out I only wasted more of my time. Bite me brownie cutter-meatball maker people! No sale! Final tally.

Brownie cutter- meatball maker 1

Willy’s wasted time 0

• 5 willy // Sep 21, 2009 at 11:36 am

Make that “their” crappy products

• 6 citizen // Sep 21, 2009 at 11:56 am

Heiner’s Southeast/CAL army of volunteers will flood the city. My prediction – he will win the election from sheer solidarity of Jesus…er man…power. It will be interesting to see if they can beat the campaign contribution/polling place power of JCTA though. Anyone know who JCTA is backing?

• 7 Lou Robinson // Sep 21, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I was disturbed when they mentioned turning my meatballs into hamburger.

• 8 Barbara // Sep 21, 2009 at 12:30 pm

The only thing Mayor Foreman showed up for was the parade so he could feel important sitting in his convertible. And your spot on, it’s like Abramson missing the Derby. You bring 200,000 people to your city and you can’t be bothered to show up. Shameful!

• 9 Novena // Sep 21, 2009 at 1:08 pm

“A Long Wait to Victory”

I’m waiting for the Arkansas State game. That will be the Cards next win (by a whisker).

• 10 Chris // Sep 21, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I am still trying to figure out what a “meatball taco” is… seems like they just threw two random food items together, because I sure as heck have never heard of a meatball taco.

• 11 Barbara // Sep 21, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Why all the hate for the meatball maker, I almost ordered one

• 12 Another Barbara // Sep 21, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Was anyone else offended by the Louisville Possibility City commercials??? I thought they were embarrassing!

• 13 Marko // Sep 21, 2009 at 4:35 pm

After about the 3rd meatball-maker commercial, my wife looked over and said, “Why would anyone want to buy that thing to make that many meatballs themselves when they could buy a bagful at Meijer or Kroger for about the same price as the hamburger?”

• 14 Barbara // Sep 21, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Marko, you have a good point!

• 15 Tom // Sep 21, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Marko, because when you make your own meatballs, you know what’s going in them. I love the meatball maker!

• 16 Bill // Sep 22, 2009 at 2:53 am

I found entertainment in watching Kragthorpe talking trash to the whole world about the Trent Guy fumble. He really made himself look bad with that rant on the TV about he was going to deal with those people. Really, they need to strongly consider firing him after that. But then again, its U of L and they have no shame. After all, look at the last 6 months.

• 17 Carter Burger // Sep 22, 2009 at 8:23 am

“I was disturbed when they mentioned turning my meatballs into hamburger.”

One my ex wives has already tried it.

• 18 AreYouKiddingMe // Sep 22, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Mayor “The Weasel” Foreman was afraid to show his face at the Gaslight Festival. He has too many enemies walking around. He shouldn’t have been though, he was hired guards just down the street.