No Screaming Allowed

July 14th, 2009 by admin · 15 Comments

Louisville Loves Lawyers: U of L has spent $360,000 attempting to shield donations from public scrutiny. It lost. And now that the list is public, there’s no harm to the school. Anybody want to explain who was in charge of the decision to fight the C-J’s open records request? [Courier]

There’s Crazy, and Then There’s This Sypher Woman: Without an attorney to advise her to keep quiet, Karen Cunagin Sypher decided to file a complaint about Rick Pitino with the police. She hasn’t found anyone to replace Thomas Clay as her lawyer, and now her cell phone’s disconnected. Guess that’s why there’s no new TV interview. [AP]

Yea, Shouldn’t Have Said That: After his West Virginia comments, in which he described pre-merger Louisville as becoming poorer, blacker and older, Jerry Abramson finally issued an apology yesterday.  It was a Biden-like slip, equating poor and black. So why is David Tandy defending the Mayor on this one? [Fox41]

The $950,000 Question: The C-J Editorial Board reluctantly criticizes Metro Government for its handling of this Cordish issue while blasting Kelly Downard for making a big deal of it. Apparently the Mayor is content to wait until Bruce Traughber can work a trip to Baltimore into his busy schedule to get some details on that $950,000. Could it be he knows there’s no justifiable explanation? [Courier]

Not a Possibility: Did you see the headline and get all excited about the big deal the city’s backers would make out of this news? Louisville Named Best Place to Live by Money Magazine.  Oops, Louisville, Colorado. Best Small City in America. Not a small town in Kentucky in the top 100. Bummer. [Money]

Jake Talks with Jack: So many questions. Will Jack Conway’s baby wait until after Fancy Farm? Is Conway worried about being a regional candidate? Does Jack laugh at Jake’s crude humor? [Page One]

Is The Name All That’s Changed?: It’s now the WBKI News at 10.  But still a WHAS newscast. Hmm.

No Cussing Either: It’s going to be quite an adjustment for high school football coaches next month. The new sportsmanship classes coaches are attending this week stress positive reinforcement, i.e. no cussing at players. No “Run Until Somebody Quits.” And you can bet that those practices will have plenty of witnesses. [WLKY]

Tags: Cordish · CW · Dan Mongiardo · High School · Jack Conway · Jerry Abramson · Metro Council · Possibility City · Senate Race · Sports · University of Louisville

• 1 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Jul 14, 2009 at 7:27 am

If Jerry were truly Biden-esk, he would have pointed out the the city was getting less bright, less articulate, and less clean.

Great one Jerry. See if you can borrow one of Obama’s teleprompters next time.

• 2 Steve Magruder (I, not D or R) // Jul 14, 2009 at 8:47 am

Yeah, let’s pretend Obama is the first President to use a teleprompter — this is a good reflection of the intellectual bankruptcy of America’s right wing.

• 3 402kid // Jul 14, 2009 at 8:53 am

Cordish laughs all the way to Baltimore with his extra cash for his club while the Salvation Army decides which of its clubs that serve over 2000 Louisville kids to close. Way to run a City Jerry.

• 4 Punditarod // Jul 14, 2009 at 9:15 am

The Courier is full of it. Their reasoning is woefully flawed. The mafia is a family business, dating back to at least 1910, and they got plenty to hide. Geesh.

• 5 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Jul 14, 2009 at 9:33 am

Come on Steve relax a little, it’s pretty well agreed that there has never been president who has made himself as dependent on a teleprompter as Obama has.

God knows, the guy takes 1/10th the ribbing by late night talk show hosts that Bush and Palin still do. I would hate to make a simple quick joke about his utter reliance on the prompter. It is well documented that his staff has tried to wean him off the prompter with no success.

• 6 KYGuy // Jul 14, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I like that Obama uses a prompter. He does it well, too. The prompter keeps him on-message and allows him to articulate policy clearly. (Like the policy or not.)

I certainly prefer it to the ear prompter that Bush wore which made him look downright insane at times – like he was listening to voices inside his brain – - which he was! Most likely Rove or Cheney. I always thought it was funny when he actually TALKED to the ear prompter voice. That was REALLY creepy. Bush actually did better when he didn’t wear the prompter.

• 7 syvyn11 // Jul 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Ms. Sypher is a idiot. She’s thinking “okay, I’m going to the federal pokey for at least 10 years. What can I do to make it worse? I know, I’ll file a false charge of sexual assult against Pitinio! That will get the heat off!”

Someone, take this woman on as a client before she confesses to the Lindberg baby kidnapping!

• 8 bill // Jul 14, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I know that Karen Sypher is a nut job, but maybe. JUST maybe could slick Rick actually be guilty of something? After all, we are ALL condeming Sypher, while slick Rick is innocent until proven guilty.Its really going to be interesting when all of this comes out in the wash!

• 9 Crutnacker // Jul 14, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Bill, the more Karen Sypher pursues this, the more I think Rick is the victim here. If your own attorney (especially a guy who loves publicity like Tom Clay) kicks you to the curb, you have to think the woman may have some real issues.

If what she is saying is NOT true, I certainly hope that Sypher gets some emotional help.

• 10 Crutnacker // Jul 14, 2009 at 4:41 pm

As for teleprompter usage, SFW? I’m sure Bush didn’t need one as much because most of his speeches were at 1000 a plate fundraisers. If you’re suggesting Obama is dumb or can’t speak for himself, I’d love to see a debate between Obama and Bush. Bush speaking off the cuff is quite amusing.

• 11 Sir // Jul 14, 2009 at 6:09 pm

“… I’d love to see a debate between Obama and Bush. Bush speaking off the cuff is quite amusing.”

-I don’t think it would be much of a debate:

“The vast majority of our imports come from outside our country.”

“It isn’t pollution that’s harming our environment. It’s the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.”

“Well, I think if your are going to do something and don’t do it, that’s trustworthiness.”

“For NASA, space is still a high priority.”

“Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.”

“The most important thing is to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him.”

“I dont know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don’t care. It’s not that important. It’s not our priority.”

“Oh no, we’re not going to have any casualties [in Iraq].”

“We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.”

“To the C students, I say you too can be President of the United States.”

“I am also not very analytical. You know I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things.”

“If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I’m the dictator.”

“I’m the decider, and I decide what’s best.”

“I don’t have the foggiest idea about what I think about international, foreign policy.”

“In a time of war, the President must have the power he needs to make tough decisions, including, if need be, to grant himself even more power.”

(all actual quotes from George W. Bush)

He’s like a character straight out of a Coen Brothers comedy/movie. lol!!!

• 12 Joel and Ethan // Jul 14, 2009 at 7:27 pm

We couldn’t have made that up.

• 13 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Jul 14, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Good God, I guess Obama is completely off limits for any jokes. I was making a simple light joke and all of a sudden I’m representative of the “intellectual bankruptcy of America’s right wing.” Hell, I never even made the point the Bush was more articulate.

Talk about thin skinned and take any criticism…..I guess Obama really is the Messiah and should never be joked about by anyone.

• 14 syvyn11 // Jul 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Sir (what a laughable name), with Bush you could tell when he was reading his own stuff on a speech and when he’s reading someone elses material. When it’s his own, he’s much more relaxed cause he knows the words from his heart and uses a teleprompter (in those cases for pacing). When he was reading someone elses work, he was more robotic, which is also natural. It’s not famerial to you.

On the other hand, Obama speaks the same roboticly laid back tone. Which leads me to believe that he doesn’t believe in what he is speaking, no matter if he wrote it or a speechwriter did.

• 15 Sirico // Jul 15, 2009 at 1:31 am

OMG, you’re defending Bush?!?! That’s hilarious!!! LOL!!!! What, is he your brother????Jeb, is that you?!?! I can’t breathe!!! Please God, make the funny man go away!!!LOL!!!!

BTW, Actually its Sirico, I couldn’t proof-read what I had typed earlier b/c of the tears of laughter in my eyes..kinda like now.LOL!!!