Sweet! A New Louisville Slugger Book

June 22nd, 2009 by admin · 12 Comments

On the cover, appropriately, is a picture of Ted Williams kissing his Louisville Slugger.

The book is “Sweet Spot: 125 Years of Baseball and the Louisville Slugger” and it’s a new book with some great history and photos of the big bat company here.

This Friday, authors David Magee and Philip Shirley will be here at the Slugger Museum to sign copies of the just-released tome, a coffee table book that would be at home in any baseball fan’s library.

The signings are Friday from 3-5 and Saturday from 9-Noon.

You’re lucky. As a reader of The ‘Ville Voice, you can win a copy. Just write in the Comments section and tell us how much you want a copy of the book. We’ll award it later this week.

Tags: Books · Contests · Slugger Field · Sports

• 1 Bridgett // Jun 22, 2009 at 11:36 am

Sweet! I’d LOVE to have a copy. There is something so romantic about summer and baseball.

• 2 Chip // Jun 22, 2009 at 11:47 am

I grew up 20 minutes from Fenway, am a founding member/card carrier of The red Sox Nation and watch baseball, tee ball thru MLB every day. I have lived in The Ville for almost 20 years and would love to have a copy of this
    book.

• 3 Gavin LaPaille // Jun 22, 2009 at 11:48 am

There’s nothing more Louisville than Louisville Slugger. Has to be a wonderful read.

• 4 Andy L // Jun 22, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Would love to have this book.

• 5 Steve Bittenbender // Jun 22, 2009 at 12:38 pm

When I attended Boston U., I had a dorm that offered a view of Kenmore Square. I loved to see the CITGO sign all lit up. It was kinda like the holidays.

• 6 Doug // Jun 22, 2009 at 1:14 pm

As soon as I saw the headline, I was bummed that it’s too late to ask for this for Father’s Day!

This would be perfect in our (yes, “our”) baseball den. My wife and I are huge baseball fans, and it would be the perfect coffee table book to go with our personalized Louisville Slugger bat with our wedding date on it (and other baseball items). I’d love to add some Louisville flavor to all of it. It’s also perfect since my mom, who watched Ted Williams play when she was a kid in New England, stays down there when she visits us here in the Ville.

By the way, anyone who refers to the “Red Sox Nation” should be automatically disqualified. If you just want to see the Red Sox, just keep watching biased ESPN. This is a Louisville Slugger/baseball book. Admittedly, Ted Williams it the best hitter of all time . . . until Pujols surpasses him.

• 7 John // Jun 22, 2009 at 1:36 pm

When my grandfather first told me the story of the day that he saw Babe Ruth in Louisville way back in the day, I was entranced by that brush with history and the part that Louisville and the Slugger itself have played in the life of baseball. It would be a tremendous addition to that wonder to see the photos and read the stories presented anew.

• 8 Steve Bittenbender // Jun 22, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Doug,

The Red Sox share a long history with Louisville. From 1939-55 and 1968-72, the Colonels were its AAA ballclub.

Even though I’m a Sox fan, I could care less about ESPN. It’s a shell of its former self — especially SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight. I just wish Insight would bring us the MLB network.

And finally, when Pujols gives up six of his prime seasons to fight a war or volunteer for another cause, then he can be compared to Teddy Ballgame. Until then, he’s not even close enough to feel the breeze off Ted’s backswing!

• 9 Larry West // Jun 22, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I’d like this book also. My father used to take me to San Jose’s Municipal Stadium, then home of the class A San Jose Bees (now San Jose Giants). I still remember him almost getting hit by a flying bat – don’t know if it was a Louisville Sluggger as I was only about 5 or 6. Two things I remember about the team are the fact that they tried to rename the stadium to Senter Field (it was on Senter Road), and when the team went to AAA for a few years, one of the names considered was the San Jose Prune Pickers (they settled on the San Jose Missions).

• 10 meril // Jun 22, 2009 at 4:14 pm

I would really like this book. I remember my first pro game at the Fairground Stadium with the Louisville playing the Fort Worth Team. It was the Braves affilite then. I don’t remember the other teams name.
    I was there when the Colonels came back as the Red Sox franchise.
    I went the first Redbirds game at both Fairgounds and Downtown.

I was almost divorced because my wife got hit in the face with a foul ball at Slugger Field, she says that I safed the Nachos instead of catching the ball.

I AM THE ONE WHO REALLY NEEDS THIS BOOK

• 11 Doug // Jun 22, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Steve, I didn’t mean to start an argument. There’s absolutely no argument here about Ted Williams’ greatness or his sacrifice and service, but regarding volunteering for causes, Pujols is the Roberto Clemente Award Winner for outstanding community service! I realize that his causes may not be as public as war, but those of us who have followed him for several years know his greatness on and off the field. See http://www.pujolsfamilyfoundation.org or http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153053/index.htm. By the way, this kind of discussion is the beauty of books about baseball history. Both of us actually care about the professional and personal reputation of a guy who hasn’t played since 1960! Thanks for the AAA tidbit. I didn’t know that, so I guess I need the book more than you.

• 12 Jason Puckett // Jun 22, 2009 at 5:26 pm

It’s very fitting that that famous photo of Ted Williams is the cover shot for the book. I loved the stories about how he would travel to Louisville and personally oversee the spinning and production of his bats, and how he could pick them up and tell if they were only a fraction of an ounce off of his specifications.

It’s a shame that most of the current generation only know of him through the debacle following his death and his tool box son.