Smart Moves in D.C. and Other News

June 11th, 2009 by admin · 17 Comments

A Good God Fit: Look who fell for that NASCAR offer going around. The VroomVroom bunch has been offering one-race sponsorships on its cars at races in Nashville (that my alma mater, WKU, wasted its money on) and now Kentucky, where the Creation Museum figures it can attract/dupe more people into visiting their alternative view of reality by advertising on a race car. [Peter Smith]

Probably Bad News for the NASCAR Crowd and Mitch McConnell: The Senate voted to regulate tobacco as a drug. One report estimates FDA regulation could curb teen smoking by 11 percent, though it probably won’t be as effective in Kentucky. [NY Times]

Hebert’s Bound to Take Credit for This: The U of L Trustees want to extend President James Ramsey’s contract, even though his current deal doesn’t expire for three years. [Courier]

Yarmuth Supports End of Mountaintop Removal: Rep. John Yarmuth today announced that he’s really pumped about the Obama Administration’s efforts to curb mountaintop removal, and reminded his colleagues about the importance of the Clean Water Protection Act, which would further limit the practice. Steps in the right direction. [Yarmuth Release]

Those Girls Again: We’re overdoing this Southern Belles coverage, on purpose, just because. In tonight’s episode, Emily drops the Vegas showgirl look, and Shea’s boyfriend gets some airtime. The trailer is on Emily’s site. [Emily]

Or You Can Listen To This on the Radio: Want to hear about the new anonymous tipline, or the Valley Station post office, and some bad things about Jerry Abramson? Tune in to WKJK 1080 tonight at 7 for Ed Springston’s radio show. His guest this week is Chris Thieneman. [Springston]

Maybe Now He’ll Have Time to Try a Few Cases: Ed Glasscock of Frost, Brown, Todd, who’s involved in the arena and the bridges projects, is stepping down as chair of the Kentucky Center.  [Courier]

Taking Their Best Shot: These Metro Council budget hearings are becoming more of a bitch session for Councilers like Hal Heiner to take it to the parade of department directors working for Jerry Abramson. Today’s victim was Public Works’ Ted Pullen, who wasn’t communicating his plans for stimulus money projects to the MC. [WFPL]

Tags: Arena · Green · John Yarmuth · Legal · Metro Council · Mitch McConnell · Ohio River Bridges · Public Relations · Radio · Retirement · Salaries · Smoking Ban · South End · TV · University of Louisville

• 1 Earl // Jun 11, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Are you saying the metro directors don’t deserve it, or that it’s about time somebody put them on the spot where they can’t scowl and walk away?

• 2 Jason Frakes // Jun 11, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Hey, Rick. Quit blaming your alma mater for the NASCAR thing:

“The WKU logo appeared on the 05 Chevy at Saturday’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Nashville thanks to an in-kind gift by a WKU alumnus who provided the marketing opportunity at no cost to WKU.”

• 3 rickredding // Jun 11, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Earl – I think it’s the only time all year they’re held accountable, ‘cuz it seems their boss Jerry protects them up until the point it’s going to look bad for him – i.e Kim Bunton. But Meloche, Buthod, Cash, and the rest should have to explain themselves more.
    And sorry Jason – just not happy about WKU’s participation in NASCAR, no matter who’s paying.

• 4 Jim // Jun 12, 2009 at 2:13 am

I think its time for all of the lumps working in the Abramson junta to pick up and leave and frankly things would be better. Maybe then we can get some of our underutilized college graduates into jobs that require some intelligence and send Jerry and his minions to work at Wal Mart.

• 5 Steve Coomes // Jun 12, 2009 at 8:34 am

Rick: Would it have made you happier had WKU advertised in a baseball program or centerfield wall rather than on a racecar hood? Either way, it’s marketing, and you know that your beloved baseball isn’t exactly the hottest sport ticket in town anymore.

Even as a moderate race fan, I wonder how much benefit any advertiser gets from car branding. But the fact is, it’s hot, and that’s what WKU latched onto. Can’t blame them for trying something unique. At least give them credit for that.

Far as people being “duped” into going to the Creation Museum … just like WKU, they’re exercising their rights to free speech. Just because neither organization is doing something you believe in, they’re being “duped” or they’re just plain wrong. Pretty one-sided, don’t you think? I’ve always loved how liberals preach tolerance but never seem to grant it to those with whom they don’t agree.

I don’t agree with evolutionists like you, but I’ll die supporting your right to have your say. Plus, I won’t say they’ve been “duped” if that’s what you believe. You believe what you do because you’re convinced by the evidence you’ve gathered to this point. I respectfully disagree based on the evidence I’ve gathered.

Live and let live and let the discussion continue respectfully, I say.

• 6 Raoul Duke // Jun 12, 2009 at 8:58 am

Here, here, Mr. Coomes. You have pointed out the very essence of the liberal mindset. Everyone should be tolerant of of everything except for that stuff that liberals don’t like…guns, creationism, NASCAR, Fox News and the like. It would be refreshing for liberals to just go ahead and admit their biases and stop pretending to be tolerant.

• 7 rickredding // Jun 12, 2009 at 9:06 am

I’m not shipping my diploma back to WKU, just using my right to my opinion — and I disagree with the strategy of marketing to that target audience they’re marketing to.

Also, it’s my opinion, which I have a right to express, that anyone ignoring the overwhelming scientific evidence that’s disputed by the existence of the Creation Museum is being duped.

Of course, it’s their right to market their ideas, and mine to call them on it.

• 8 AB // Jun 12, 2009 at 9:14 am

Bitch session? I call it asking very prudent, fiscally responsible questions of a bunch of incompetent bureaucrats who just want to give the same old humma-humma responses instead of real answers.

• 9 Gordon // Jun 12, 2009 at 9:17 am

I agree with Steve. Creationism is science…and what’s wrong with NASCAR? I grew up driving American muscle cars, not the idiotic looking little imports that the kids drive today.

• 10 Mark H // Jun 12, 2009 at 9:51 am

I’m sorry Gordon, but Creationism is a theory, not a science.

A science has laws that govern the discipline. For example, there are laws of geology that govern the study of that science, just as there are laws of physics and chemistry that can be duplicated and quantitatively be proven over and over again.

I’m won’t get into the chemistry and physics of why a sedimentary carbonate cannot be precipitated out in the same depositional environmental as a mudstone or a shale, but unless the laws of chemistry and physics were suspended, it’s not possible.

That said, if you can take a step back from a literate new-earth translation of the Bible, religion and current scientific theory go hand and hand. In fact, the Big Bang Theory necessitates a God to provide the initial matter and to detonate that matter. It is even possible that God could easily manipulate the creation of organisms through the allocation of free energy.

While I respect people’s right to view and display what they chose, I would refine the description of the people attending the museum, not as dupes, but rather spiritual people who are being duped by not having the geological and biological background to understand why the things they are being shown, could not have occurred.

• 11 Steve Coomes // Jun 12, 2009 at 10:26 am

Yes, Rick, you have the right to your opinion, and I support that. So given that I have the same right, I’m” calling you” on the way you express it: disparagingly of others. We all can have our say, but I think it’s better to do it kindly.

When people disagree kindly and calmly, we get to bring what I believe is abundant evidence for creation theories to the table; we discuss the evidence, not the emotions and creeds behind it. Then the discussion is fair. When one party says the other is silly enough to be duped by information they don’t agree with–information that, at last check, I know you’ve not researched, I might add–that’s uncool. Check back with me when you’ve researched some creation theories and we’ll talk about your findings.

Bottom line on both is they’re theories: No one knows it all and no one has brought completely conclusive evidence to the table. It’s all reconstructive theories, it’s all looking backward and making our best guesses.

The only thing I’m certain of is this world is no accident of time and chance. It’s too precise and purposeful, too well designed and regular. Cosmic accidents such as those posited in the theory of evolution produce chaos, not order.

And though I believe God created this world, I can’t prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. That’s where faith comes in. I’m comfortable with His claim, and I continue to find evidence that turns my faith in to fact.

You and others who are entitled to believe in the theory of evolution have faith that our existence and this world is some cosmic accident that turned out surprisingly complex, yet you know you can’ t prove that either. What you’ve got so far is just your best guess, and I’m OK with that. But I’m not OK with the standard arrogance that comes with such theories.

• 12 jake // Jun 12, 2009 at 10:42 am

I could go on for days about why Steve Coomes’ ideologies and “beliefs” are a crock. Steve, who is, indeed, entitled to his opinions is a first-rate hypocrite. I could go on for days about it but don’t feel it appropriate to rehash old drama.

But.

To suggest that anyone else is a hypocrite for suggesting that it’s silly to ignore scientific evidence? That’s hilarious.

He’s the last person who should be pretending to have fair, calm, honest discussions and to welcome differing opinions and beliefs. The absolute last person.

• 13 Gordon // Jun 12, 2009 at 11:07 am

I’ll pray for you Mark H. God bless you!

• 14 Mark H // Jun 12, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Thank you Gordon. While I may respectfully disagree on the creation issue, I hope you realize I respect you and other people of faith.

Maybe the Catholic church beat some of that faith out of me over the years….

• 15 Steve Coomes // Jun 12, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Good on you, Mark H, for your kind approach. I don’t agree with you either, but I gather we could have a reasonable discussion without offending each other. That’s how it should be.

• 16 Ed Springston // Jun 12, 2009 at 3:52 pm

“I call it asking very prudent, fiscally responsible questions of a bunch of incompetent bureaucrats who just want to give the same old humma-humma responses instead of real answers.”

I like that statement AB and I agree with it. The exception is IF they did this on a daily basis and did their job balancing the problems then perhaps they wouldn’t seem like they were having a “bitch” session per se now?

The problem isn’t that they are willing to act like they have some balls while Jerry is obviously down, but the fact that they were on his bandwagon in basically everything until others like myself and Rick started calling Abramson out.

Bandwagons are funny. What we have always needed are not bandwagon followers, they are a dime a dozen, but leaders.

Until now they have failed in that regard IMO.

• 17 Jim // Jun 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Great comments as usual Ed Springston.