Weather Without Wills

April 24th, 2009 by admin · 6 Comments

1969. That’s when Tom Wills joined WAVE-TV to talk about the weather. He’s been doing it ever since.

Wills will retire in July after 40 years of weathercasting. He’s been on air longer than any other local media personality.

Wills’ retirement will bring back plenty of memories for media watchers, and especially those who have come to depend on his reassuring voice during weather emergencies.

“I think Tom was the first sealed meteorologist to do local TV in the country, he’s an absolute original pioneer,” said WAVE General Manager Steve Langford. “He’s generally considered the best scientist in the market. I’m hoping we can work out having him fill in around here on vacations and have him attached to the station in some way.”

Wills is also well-known as an instructor in meteorology at the University of Louisville.

WAVE’s weather team includes John Belski, Kevin Harned, Andy Weingarten and Angie Glotzbach.

Tags: Reporters · Retirement · TV · WAVE · Weather

• 1 Steve Coomes // Apr 24, 2009 at 12:29 pm

<>that’s because he’s a no BS guy, and his forecasts are always more conservative, less-hype driven than many others. As an admitted weather geek, I watch him and all his peers, and Tom has always nailed it more often than the others. He’s a good man and I’ll miss his work.

• 2 Adam // Apr 24, 2009 at 12:35 pm

The non-compete for Ken Schulz should be running up in May. Does this set the stage for Ken or will Harned move to the morning?

• 3 Gordon // Apr 24, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Tom is one of the nicest humans on the planet. He was the first “personality” to welcome me to WAVE, 5 years ago almost to the day. I hope we can convince him to keep doing some stuff on a part time basis. Truly a local broadcasting legend!

• 4 John B // Apr 25, 2009 at 9:01 am

Bring Ken Schultz to WAVE!

• 5 Anna Log // Apr 26, 2009 at 9:21 am

Now I’m really feeling old. I remember when Tom replaced Bill Gladden as the 6:00 p.m. weather person on WAVE-3. That was 40 years ago? Wow. Time flies……………………

• 6 Chris Dalton // Jul 3, 2009 at 4:52 pm

After four decades, Tom Wills is finally hanging it up. I’ve met him a couple of times over the years, and he is one cool dude. He will definately be missed.

Thanks for forty years worth of memories, Tom. WAVE 3 won’t be the same without you.