Heine Bros & KFTC Fight Mountaintop Removal

December 18th, 2008 by jake · 12 Comments

We’re usually not a fain of Heine Brothers’ Coffee because it’s, well, just like Starbucks. And because the owners sucker people into their cult, the ManKind Project, which preys on young members of Alcoholics Anonymous. But this is a good cause. For the next five weeks, Heine Brothers’ Coffee in Louisville will be hosting a show of photography depicting scenes of mountaintop removal from across eastern Kentucky.

Visit the Gardiner Lane location of Heine Bros (3060 Bardstown Rd, by the Watterson Expressway) now through January 14th to view the work and find out how you can stop the devastation of our beautiful Appalachian gem of a Commonwealth.

The show is present jointly with Kentuckians For The Commonwealth. And $0.50 from the sale of every 3/4lb bag of Mountain Dream coffee will be donated to KFTC to further the organization’s efforts to stop mountaintop removal.

And in other news, stream protection legislation has been pre-filed by Rep. Don Pasley.

“This bill would keep mining out of the streams, it’s as simple as that,” said Truman Hurt, a former Perry County coal miner and member of Kentuckians For The Commonwealth.

“The stream saver bill would prevent the appropriation of public waters as waste disposal sites for coal mine wastes, by prohibiting dumping of mine spoil in streams,” Rep. Pasley said as he sponsored similar legislation in the 2008 General Assembly. “I believe it is the best policy for the commonwealth and the long-term health of the region and of our state’s waters.

Since known idiot Jim Gooch is on his way out as chairman of the Natural Resources and Environment Committee, you can bet this will FINALLY get out of committee for a vote.

Tags: Economy · Highlands · Retail

• 1 curious // Dec 18, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Would someone, preferably a non-member, care to elaborate on Heine Bros. involvement with the Mankind Project? Thanks

• 2 j // Dec 18, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Heine isn’t just like Starbucks… Heine is more expensive.

Come back Quills!!

• 3 eman // Dec 18, 2008 at 4:01 pm

The difference is that Heine Brothers is dedicated to serving fair-trade coffee. There is no other coffee in town that chooses to do that. Starbucks has a fair-trade, but they treat it as though it’s a flavor of the day.

• 4 derby city espresso // Dec 18, 2008 at 4:10 pm

I second the notion about further explanation on the Heine Bros. owners and their ties to the Mankind Project.

Also a second note – to correct Eman –
    Jackson’s Organic Coffee & Ray’s Monkey House both exclusively use ‘fair-trade’ coffee beans.
    Sunergos has recently instituted a limited ‘direct-trade’ program where they buy beans directly from farms in (I believe) Nicaragua & Guatemala.

So please don’t put Heine on a pedestal for that reason. They deserve credit but they are not the only ‘fair-trade’ coffee in town.

• 5 Mark // Dec 18, 2008 at 5:10 pm

If Heine’s is just like Starbucks, then why not get the local product? It’s worth a few cents to support the local economy. I’ll bet if you dig into the Starbuck’s culture you’ll surely find something to offend, quite possibly more than a couple of guys trying to do something positive.

I never heard of the ManKind project but a cursory review makes it look like another 12 step type program. If it works for you great, if not move on.

• 6 jake // Dec 18, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Mark: Your opinion isn’t unbiased – your station receives product/sponsorship.

But I agree – buy the local stuff instead.

And ManKind, if you bother doing more than just looking at Wikipedia, is hardly a 12-step program. I highly recommend you bother Googling and educating yourself about the group before assuming.

• 7 Steve Heine // Dec 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Rick,
    I’m one of Gary Heine’s brothers, have nothing to do with the coffee business. Your ‘Ville Voice is bookmarked on my desktop, I check it out on a regular basis, along with Slate and Ken Pomeroy’s website on college basketball and, of course, mapquest. I think that your writing is consistently very fine, and I appreciate your perspective on all things local. I’d say we share similar worldviews. I take exception, though, to what I thought was a pretty cheap and easy shot at Heine Brothers’.
    A couple of points I’d like to make: Heine Brothers’ is not Starbucks, never has been, never will be. It’s a local business founded by two boys born and raised here. It’s not the only place in town to get a fine cup of fair trade coffee. There are at least several other local coffee houses brewing an exceptional cup. But, few other small, locally-owned businesses can claim to give back to the community as much as Gary and his partner Mike Mays.
    As far as I can tell, Gary and Mike are very good to their employees. The atmosphere at their stores is warm. They’re both deeply involved in our city. They contribute to an astounding number of local non-profits, have done so consistently for over a decade. To boot, they founded Breaking New Grounds, a non-profit that’s literally turning waste [including sixty tons of Heine Brothers’ coffee grounds a year] into wealth [an incredibly rich vermi-compost for sale at Heine Brothers’ stores]. The proceeds from the sale of the compost will support a series of inner-city gardens. Take a look at http://www.breakingnewgrounds.org. All in all, a huge net positive for our community, I’d say.
    As far as the Mankind Project: perhaps there’s a Pulitzer [seriously] in it for a thorough story on the group [???]. Sounds like you have a beef with them. I know little about the Mankind Project, which is plenty enough for me. I really don’t care to know more about them, they seem pretty tame to me, but, hey, if you know something you’re not telling, pursue it with smart, responsible writing. Just spare Heine Brothers’ the cheap shots.
    It’s a little puzzling that you’d go after Heine Brothers’ as part of a ‘Ville Voice piece lauding them [I think?] for their partnership with KFTC in fighting mountaintop removal. Methinks there’s some other issue going on here. What’s up?
    In any case, Rick, keep up the fine work, I’ll continue to check it out on a regular basis.

• 8 jake // Dec 20, 2008 at 4:03 pm

A couple things…

Rick didn’t write this. I did.

We consistently promote Heine Bros and frequent all locations, often writing positively about them. So, cheap shot or not, it’s silly to act like we’re the devil out to hurt your brother’s business.

Several other local coffee shops and businesses CAN and DO give back as much or more than Heine Brothers’ Coffee, so let’s not promote misinformation. Java Brewing Company, for example, along with Safier, have consistently given back to their community, have helped me raise money on several occasions, and others. The entire Louisville Originals community gives back millions each year– and that accounts for a ton of restaurants in this city.

As for ManKind Project… a little Googling can prove to anyone that it’s cult-ish. Raking in millions per year, padding the coffers of a select few, taking advantage of emotionally at-risk gentlemen who are often recovering addicts.

But again. Cheap shots? Please. Spare me the whining. We’re all free to our opinions and I think Heine Bros is dead-up the local version of Starbucks.

• 9 Steve Heine // Dec 20, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Jake, I see you’ve made sure that you’ll have the last word. You’re weak.

• 10 jake // Dec 20, 2008 at 7:20 pm

??

• 11 Steve // Dec 20, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Here’s my comment, it was removed a couple of minutes after it was posted:
    Young Jake, fine comeback. In your fit to respond in nine minutes, you missed my point, which isn’t surprising. I’m aware of the contributions of other excellent, local coffee houses and of the Louisville Originals community. Born and raised here. I buy local. Clifton and Crescent Hill are my neighborhoods. My point was this: if you have a beef with Heine Brothers’, lay it out in some thoughtful way. You think it’s “dead-up the local version of Starbucks?” How? Because they have multiple locations around the city? And the Mankind Project: Absolutely not my kind of thing—I’m a perfectly mediocre father without anyone else’s help. But, really, why not do a little research [as opposed to, say, Googling], spell out the problems you have with the group. Finally, I was trying to be kind: Your original piece was lazy work. Heine Brothers’, the Mankind Project, Kentuckians for the Commonwealth and mountaintop stripping, all in, what, less than three hundred words. Next time, Jake, I say a little more effort and research. And go easy on the sanctimony.

• 12 jake // Dec 20, 2008 at 8:03 pm

The only thing that’s been removed today is spam about “horny sluts” and “naked cougars” along with a comment about how Jerry Abramson could be found in bed with a live boy and a dead girl and still win re-election (paraphrased)…

That said, give me a fucking break and/or get over yourself. And read before responding.

How is it a dead-up local version of Starbucks? Let’s look at my previous comment for an answer: “Fact of the matter is, however, that Heine Bros has turned into a chain and provides simple, basic coffee. Like Starbucks. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. But with chaining comes homogenization, no matter the business.”

ManKind Project: Maybe I don’t want to waste time explaining why I dislike the ManKind Project? Which is why I’ve provided links on both this site and Page One so folks could form their own– wait for it, this is novel– their own opinion.

Newsflash: This isn’t a newspaper and I’m not a journalist. I couldn’t care less whether or not you believe my “piece was lazy work.” It’s a blog. Let’s use this fancy internets machine to find out what a blog is.

Rick and I take/listen to complaints and personal attacks all day long. We’ve grown accustomed to it over time and have grown pretty thick skins (mine is thicker than Rick’s… you know how skin on old people gets thin due to being old or whatever). One would think that someone who has been in business– or whose brother has been in business– as long as you/your brother would be able to deal with the fact that not all publicity or conversation is going to be positive.

I think Heine Bros has become a bland local chain. It’s not my favorite. I think the ManKind Project is a cult and provided links to allow people to make up their own minds. And I think it’s ridiculous to lose your shit over a little criticism.

And don’t tempt me re: ManKind. Nearly every employee I’ve ever spoken to at Heine Bros about ManKind tells me that they’ve been pressured to participate in/consider the cult by ownership. If you really want me to, I’ll detail the Heine Bros ties to the organization. It won’t be kind to your brother. I was being kind by allowing folks to make up their own mind.